Mystery-Shack.com - A Gravity Falls Forum
Disney Redubs Louis C.K.’s Character in W1 & W3 - Printable Version

+- Mystery-Shack.com - A Gravity Falls Forum (http://www.mystery-shack.com)
+-- Forum: Gravity Falls (http://www.mystery-shack.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Show Discussion (http://www.mystery-shack.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Thread: Disney Redubs Louis C.K.’s Character in W1 & W3 (/showthread.php?tid=6934)

Disney Redubs Louis C.K.’s Character in W1 & W3 - ReptilePatrol - 12-22-2017

Today The Hollywood Reporter confirmed that Disney has re-dubbed parts of two Gravity Falls episodes. They’ve replaced Louis C.K.’s performance as The Horrifying Sweaty One-Armed Monstrosity with a new performance by Alex Hirsch. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe such a move — Disney reaching this far back to actually make a big change like this — is unprecedented within the series. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-redubs-louis-cks-gravity-falls-character-sexual-misconduct-admission-1070056?

This follows sexual misconduct allegations against Louis C.K., and his admission that the allegations are true.

I’ve yet to hear Hirsch’s performance in its entirety but it’s always exciting when there’s new Gravity Falls stuff, even if it is something as small as this. I recall loving C.K’s character back when I first saw those episodes so I’m definitely curious to hear Hirsch’s take on it. 

It’s also quite reassuring that Disney has not in fact forgotten about Gravity Falls, even though the sheer size of the Walt Disney Company is what Hirsch has cited as being the reason we don’t have that series DVD/Blu-ray. Ironically they’ve been less willing to properly respond to the sexual misconduct allegations against John Lasseter ...

RE: Disney Redubs Louis C.K.’s Character in W1 & W3 - MysterySeeker - 12-22-2017

Here's a clip of the redub

RE: Disney Redubs Louis C.K.’s Character in W1 & W3 - Baron Num Nums - 12-22-2017

Wow. They actually did it. Surreal to think about when it first came out, we were all pretty excited.

I actually haven't heard about Lasseter. That's interesting, I'd say maube it's because he's far too big but clearly that's not true anymore.

RE: Disney Redubs Louis C.K.’s Character in W1 & W3 - SirDip - 12-24-2017

Just found out about this. Honestly I'm indifferent to it, it's not like the character was that memorable anyway. It's kinda pointless though since most rips of the episode are online and still contain CK's original voice.

However, I hope this doesn't start a trend of wiping out/censoring/modifying an actor's previous work just because of their personal mistakes.

RE: Disney Redubs Louis C.K.’s Character in W1 & W3 - ReptilePatrol - 12-25-2017

I think the point isn’t to erase Louis C.K., since viewership of the reruns is going to be relatively small, but this makes a statement that the Walt Disney Company will not tolerate such behavior. The media coverage of this event is probably a lot more significant than the actual redubbing, which I doubt most people would have known about otherwise.

The WDC is in an interesting position because they do not want to be the only Hollywood studio to not respond firmly against sexual misconduct, yet they also don’t want to risk any of their profits. There’s been a lot of comparison of C.K.’s treatment to Lasseter’s; John Lasseter is the CCO of both Pixar and Disney Animation, which means billions of dollars in both feature film and merchandise is resting on him. Redubbing C.K. in Gravity Falls primarily for the media coverage is like picking low-hanging fruit: they get the “Disney is doing something about this” publicity, without actually having to do anything to their top execs. Lasseter remains on a six month leave following more serious allegations of sexual misconduct, which is basically a slap on the wrist compared to what’s happened to C.K. or Harvey Weinstein.

Or at least that’s my analysis of it. It’s easy for them to redub a few lines, and given the publicity value, there’s little reason not to do it. Does it actually do anything constructive in stopping sexual harassment and assault? In a way, yes — it’s part of a larger trend of rejecting such behavior — but also in a way, no, if we are placated by a small publicity stunt intended to distract from the more serious allegations against higher level execs. I guess we’ll see where the WDC’s true priorities lie when Lasseter’s leave is due to end.

One other thing to consider though: if Disney ever does make that Gravity Falls DVD/Blu-Ray, it will most certainly have Alex Hirsch’s performance instead, which means the original version Hirsch intended to have (the role seems designed specifically for C.K. but I’m sure Hirsch gladly replaced him) might end up becoming rare. Same goes for if Gravity Falls gets promoted in Disney’s upcoming new streaming service, which I suspect it may if Disney really does want to compete with Netflix.

RE: Disney Redubs Louis C.K.’s Character in W1 & W3 - SirDip - 12-25-2017

My last paragraph was more in general than related to Louis' case though.

RE: Disney Redubs Louis C.K.’s Character in W1 & W3 - ReptilePatrol - 12-27-2017

I think if we’re talking in general, this trend has already started somewhat — not just wth C.K., but also Kevin Spacey in All the Money in the World — but it might not go beyond that due to the difficulties in actually wiping out someone’s previous work. C.K.’s case worked because it was just a few lines in an animated television show, whereas in Spacey’s case the film was not yet released, and in both cases, there was likely the allure of positive PR and media coverage. Outside of that though, Hollywood’s response still seems to be largely dictated by costs and benefits, rather than a moral stand against sexual misconduct. Indeed, I have yet to hear news of any changes to the properties that were produced by Harvey Weinstein or John Lasseter.