Spiderman Thread
(03-10-2016, 01:59 AM)AwesomeDude1 Wrote: Well Sony still owns Spiderman and has creative control over the solo Spidey movies.

Sony has little creative control over Spidey in the MCU now, if any. Marvel's calling the shots now, and I'll be damned if Sony tries to mess this great opportunity up.
“Ends are not bad things, they just mean that something else is about to begin. And there are many things that don't really end, anyway, they just begin again in a new way. Ends are not bad and many ends aren't really an ending; some things are never-ending.” ― C. JoyBell C.
[Image: Sig.gif]
(03-10-2016, 02:17 AM)Sir Dippingsauce Wrote:
(03-10-2016, 01:59 AM)AwesomeDude1 Wrote: Well Sony still owns Spiderman and has creative control over the solo Spidey movies.

Sony has little creative control over Spidey in the MCU now, if any. Marvel's calling the shots now, and I'll be damned if Sony tries to mess this great opportunity up.

Where did you here that Sony has little control over Spidey? I've heard the opposite.

Plus, why are we scared of Sony controlling Spiderman? Yes they made Spiderman 3 and The Amazing Spiderman 2. But they also made Spiderman, Spiderman 2, and The Amazing Spiderman which were great. They only made 2 disappointing Spidey films.
[Image: mabel_pines_fan_button_by_requestbuttons-d5j5abu.png]
See Ghostbusters reboot trailer, plus all the leaked studio notes from two years ago which unveiled so much of their shitty thought process and unprofessional behavior in e-mails.

The reason this deal happened was due to how Amazing Spider-Man 2 was received, both critically and financially. Sony producers (*cough* Avi Arad *cough*) have been to known to meddle a lot with the recent Spidey films and not giving directors the right amount of creative control. Heck, Andrew Garfield brought this up in an interview a few months back.

Point is, Sony made a deal with Marvel. While Sony still owns the rights and merchandising stuff to the character, Marvel are the ones pushing the creative input now. Kevin Feige himself was responsible for the casting of Tom Holland, not Sony. And with Marvel's recent track record, I trust them to at the very least do a decent job, which is something Sony stopped doing since almost a decade ago.
“Ends are not bad things, they just mean that something else is about to begin. And there are many things that don't really end, anyway, they just begin again in a new way. Ends are not bad and many ends aren't really an ending; some things are never-ending.” ― C. JoyBell C.
I understand what you're saying. And I agree that Sony is kind of in a mess.

But they do have control over the solo Spidey films. Explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC4hXsnvizQ
You're not getting my point, AD1. They don't have creative control in the literal sense. Sony is like a kid who's been playing roughly with his toys leaving them in bad condition, while Marvel is the other kid Sony shares the toys he's grown tired of and starts letting Marvel play with them more and more.

Sony is responsible for the character, they have the rights, they have the merchandising income. But Marvel is in charge now, creatively speaking. Tom Holland's casting was made by Marvel, Jon Watts was picked by Marvel, and all the main decisions now are being done by Marvel. Sony might have the final say on things (although Pascal and Feige seem to have a very good business relationship), but Marvel is ultimately driving the train here.
(03-10-2016, 02:59 AM)Sir Dippingsauce Wrote: You're not getting my point, AD1. They don't have creative control in the literal sense. Sony is like a kid who's been playing roughly with his toys leaving them in bad condition, while Marvel is the other kid Sony shares the toys they've grown tired of and starts letting Marvel play with them.

Sony is responsible for the character, they have the rights, they have the merchandising income. But Marvel is in charge now, creatively speaking. Tom Holland's casting was made by Marvel, Jon Watts was picked by Marvel, and all the main decisions now are being done by Marvel. Sony might have the final say on things (although Pascal and Feige seem to have a very good business relationship), but Marvel is ultimately driving the train here.

I now understand what you mean. And I do think that Sony will listen to Marvel a lot as they should.

It's just that if Sony wants Mysterio to be the main villain in the first solo film, they can do that even if Marvel wants Vulture.

PS Did you hear about this?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vi...ved-872844
Yep. That spin-off is gonna suck balls if it's in the hands of Avi "I can't keep my hands off of meddling and making good things shit" Arad. He's a Venom fanboy (no joke), but not one I think will even do the character justice.
I'm very concerned too. A Venom movie with no connections to Spiderman? That's like if they made a Catwoman movie with no connections to Batman. Oh Right. That happened.
Yeah, Venom so far is shaping up to be the new Catwoman. Lord knows we already got a recent horrid superhero movie with Fan4stic.
Agreed. This Venom movie looks doomed to fail. Maybe Sony will listen to the negative complaints and make a true Venom movie. I've always wanted to see Spiderman vs Venom vs Carnage in a movie.

The ONE thing that gives me some hope for the movie right now is that the writer of Edge of Tomorrow is writing the script.