Dipper (& Mabels) Guide to mystery! (And nonstop fun!)
*nods head* mmaayybbee
NEW image in production
I'm keeping: Stan's Fez, F's Laptop, Pacifica's Dog, and ☆Bill's Top Hat☆

(10-09-2014, 01:08 AM)D0GE Wrote: p.116-117: THAT BURNT TREE BY SOOS’S HOUSE IS ODD

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140...aytime.png

...OH
[Image: 23mlmqc.png]
Nice find mino! But what's it supposed to mean?
~~If you have concerns, please send it to one of the mods~~

maybe it got struck by lightning or from a war or something.

Or maybe someone was trying to warn Soos by burning things near his house.
NEW image in production
I'm keeping: Stan's Fez, F's Laptop, Pacifica's Dog, and ☆Bill's Top Hat☆

I still don't get that strange coincidence of Wendy wanting to go to portland and Melody does.
~~If you have concerns, please send it to one of the mods~~

(10-09-2014, 04:11 PM)SoosUnknown Wrote: I still don't get that strange coincidence of Wendy wanting to go to portland and Melody does.

Eh, Portland's pretty much the only noteworthy city in Oregon so it'd make sense that she wants to live there instead of dingy old Gravity Falls.
[Image: 23mlmqc.png]
Positives

Capturing the tone of the show - It's exactly like the show. The characters, humor, and mythology are spot on! The twins still have their great bond, Dipper is serious, and Mabel, Stan, Soos, and Wendy are still funny.

Dipper's pages - Great and mysterious. I heard Jason Ritter's voice while reading his pages/writing. I loved his writing about the creatures and objects of GF. My favorite one was where it was mentioned that he was talking to Ford.

Mabel's Pages - Great and funny. I heard Kristen Schaal's voice while her pages/writing. I loved her writing about silliness and animals and candy and sweaters and hugs and other fun/weird/funny/sweet stuff. My favorite one was where she mentioned her fashion styles.

Continuity with the show - Well done. I loved all the mentions of the the creatures and objects and events from the show.

Forshadowing - Great job at hinting at what's to come in the rest of season 2 through both texts and codes.

Negatives

Balance - Sometimes Dipper has too much focus. Sometimes Mabel has too much focus. They could've balanced it out more. Maybe they could've had more pages together.

Not enough creatures - They could've put some of the early season 2 creatures like the shape shifter, the lilliputians, and Giffiney in the book.

A little too short - Could've been a bit longer.

Not enough Stan, Soos, and Wendy pages - I wanted more.

4.5/5
[Image: mabel_pines_fan_button_by_requestbuttons-d5j5abu.png]
Was just reading this over tonight and noticed something I haven't seen pointed out here yet.

Quote:He says his name is "Bill," and the last time I saw him he said something about "everything changing" in the near future. He can invade your dreams and even take control of a person's body. Watch out for him. He could be hiding anywhere. And whatever you do, do NOT chant his name three times in a darkened room. TRUST ME. DO NOT SUMMON AT ALL COSTS!

You can really just skip to those last two sentences but I included the rest of the paragraph anyway.

So here we've got "DO NOT SUMMON AT ALL COSTS" copied directly from journal three, but what's interesting is that it's preceded by "TRUST ME", which perfectly contradicts the author's "TRUST NO ONE". Just an, uh, interesting little touch there. It's a difference and similarity between Ford and Dipper all lined up neatly for us to look at.

The "TRUST ME" is also pretty consistent with a lot of Dipper's tone throughout the book, especially the contracts he asks the reader to agree to. Dipper emphasizes trusting him specifically, and at times even tries to alienate the reader from others:
Quote:We will meet one day and on that glorious day we will show the small-minded doubters we were right all along, and are also really cool, and they should have been nicer to us.
Granted, a lot of that is probably projection, but it's still worth noting.

Ford's book tells the reader to trust no one, whereas Dipper's tells the reader to put trust only in him.
I doubt Ford expected anyone to read his journals, so that documentation was mostly for his own benefit: writing "TRUST NO ONE" was a reminder to himself. Dipper, on the other hand, intended for the book to be read, and thus had the opportunity to get his message ("TRUST ME") out into the world.

Or at least to try.
[Image: Eg3lWTv.png][Image: tumblr_mcy2clswjj1qesb9j_by_homestuck__f...699rlh.png]
not a ship
Most of you have probably heard about this book but do you know the code that bill hid throughout the book? https://lesmysteresdegravityfalls.files..../11/10.jpg