Harry Potter
(10-15-2015, 06:36 AM)Abia Wrote:
(10-15-2015, 06:02 AM)daJoschi Wrote: I never read them.
I don't know if I have enough time for reading the books.

(hide and run)

Definitely try to, if you find the time.
I will never have time
First, i am a kind of slacker, second so many excams I have.
(10-15-2015, 05:18 PM)daJoschi Wrote:

(hide and run)

I will never have time

Still should try to read it, because it's a great series. First time I read the books, I was in the fifth grade and finished them in a week, that's how good they were. But even if you don't have loads of time, you can read a few pages in your spare time, or if that's not your thing, you can get an audiobook and just listen while you do stuff. Just suggestions though. I don't want to force you to read them, though. Just sharing my thoughts.
Pines Bros. Character (Click to View)

[Image: large.gif]
(10-15-2015, 06:03 PM)ktalexander75 Wrote:
(10-15-2015, 05:18 PM)daJoschi Wrote:

(hide and run)

I will never have time

Still should try to read it, because it's a great series. First time I read the books, I was in the fifth grade and finished them in a week, that's how good they were. But even if you don't have loads of time, you can read a few pages in your spare time, or if that's not your thing, you can get an audiobook and just listen while you do stuff. Just suggestions though. I don't want to force you to read them, though. Just sharing my thoughts.

Downloaded the epubs, uploaded them to my ebooks cloud. will read them soon (if i find time, whats never gonna happen)
^Reading time is all the time
-------
Although Hufflepuff was actually stated in the series as a house for leftovers, I believe that a house for leftovers isn't necessarily a bad thing for those people. You don't want somebody not being accepted as a wizard just because they don't fit into the criteria of any other house. Helga Hufflepuff was simply the least selfish of the house founders, not wanting the "best" house, and still wanting a house for all outsiders to be let in.
-------
Let's get some unimportant things out of the way now so we don't put much focus on them later on, starting with: The Accio Debate

Rules:
-Post how you pronounce accio in your signature (Making sure to point out that it's part of the accio debate)
-Post at least once in this thread

(Optional- provide a brief description as to why you pronounce accio that way)
I will tally up the different pronunciations in 5 days or so
[Image: ygNoHCo.png?fb]

(10-15-2015, 05:11 PM)Abia Wrote: I think Rowling deserves a bit of credit for her attempts to redeem and balance the Houses later in the series. The introduction and development of Slytherin characters was an improvement on the House's portrayal. Hufflepuff really should have gotten more attention, and Ravenclaw was also underdeveloped.
The division of Houses is on the same par as the Triwizard Tournament: what should have been an opportunity to learn to work together and unite became an excuse for unhealthy competition. It's also a pretty bad idea to surround teenagers with people too similar to themselves.
Gotta admit that branding a series with something as distinguishable as four relatable Houses is a pretty great way to it easily recognizable.

I'm unsure about whether I'd belong in Hufflepuff or Slytherin. The Hufflepuff values, especially the emphasis on loyalty, are important in my eyes, but the way I actually think and act is much closer to Slytherin.

See I never get this, why would anyone associate with Slytherin?

It's based on the house systems of the boarding schools UK and it was clever to give them values as she did but they were still very, very poorly developed and unbalanced. It was like she wanted to do a twist on the four elements but didn't finish it.
[Image: 101860422_stidenterprise3.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co5_400.gif]
Sometihng about them being cunning or something. I get that this may be a characteristic of the house, but this is not what they were portrayed like in the book series, which is why I still see them as the evil house.
oh funk gotta dronk my honk
(10-15-2015, 10:07 PM)Hanaurie Wrote: See I never get this, why would anyone associate with Slytherin?

Few reasons:
This doesn't matter, but I think Slytherin has the best aesthetic.
Resourcefulness and adaptability, power and leadership, self-sufficiency.

If I had to sum up the Houses in one word each, I'd say: Gryffindor, morality; Hufflepuff, community; Ravenclaw, wisdom; Slytherin, success.

That's generally how I've thought of the Houses, but of course it's all open to interpretation. It's not about associating with Slytherin as it's portrayed in the books (because, yes, it is the evil House for the purpose of the series), but identifying with its values. I like the ideals of Slytherin and of Hufflepuff, so they're my preferences.
[Image: Eg3lWTv.png][Image: tumblr_mcy2clswjj1qesb9j_by_homestuck__f...699rlh.png]
not a ship
Oh yeah I also have the Horcrux necklace!! Awesomeness!
[Image: C6WcSq8VAAA1XiK.png] [Image: 58bf3199c9b3883486684133.gif]
(10-15-2015, 10:25 PM)Abia Wrote:
(10-15-2015, 10:07 PM)Hanaurie Wrote: See I never get this, why would anyone associate with Slytherin?

Few reasons:
This doesn't matter, but I think Slytherin has the best aesthetic.
Resourcefulness and adaptability, power and leadership, self-sufficiency.

If I had to sum up the Houses in one word each, I'd say: Gryffindor, morality; Hufflepuff, community; Ravenclaw, wisdom; Slytherin, success.

That's generally how I've thought of the Houses, but of course it's all open to interpretation. It's not about associating with Slytherin as it's portrayed in the books (because, yes, it is the evil House for the purpose of the series), but identifying with its values. I like the ideals of Slytherin and of Hufflepuff, so they're my preferences.

The House of Slytherin, in my opinion, could attract two different kinds of people, or a combination of the two.

One: People like Malfoy and the people who ran with him. You know, snooty, with no sense of morality or remorse for the actions that you make or

Two: People who, like Abia said, are self-reliant and cunning, not necessarily in a bad way.

The reason the Slytherin house is so misunderstood is because, unfortunately, few people fall into the second category while many can be classified with characteristics from the first category (in the books). Rowling did that so that Gryffindor could have some conflict within Hogwarts.

So, not all people who are or who identify with Slytherin are bad people. Can you tell I've thought a lot about this? And not just because I identify with them, even, because I personally share more characteristics with the Gryffindor House. I just don't like how the Slytherin House is represented as a bad thing.
Pines Bros. Character (Click to View)

[Image: large.gif]
^This. Just this, even though I'm a Ravenclaw.
[Image: tumblr_msneb3uvKx1qe8ujwo8_500.gif]