Grandpa Shermy and the Twins
(I'm not sure if this should go to Conspiracies or Show Discussion)

Well, we now know that the STwins have a brother named Shermy. For the record, I'm not believing that he's the baby seen before Stanley gets kicked out of his home ('cause he'd most likely be in the same age bracket as Dipper & Mabel's parents if that were the case). Anyway, throughout the series, we have never heard the Twins or Stanley mention a word of Grandpa Shermy. Stanley, who before the episode was still clinging to the facade as Stanford, surely wouldn't make mention of him 'cause that could potentially blow his cover (Shermy & Stanford must've been in communication before. That must be how the Twins' parents know that a great uncle of theirs lives in Gravity Falls).

But what about Dipper & Mabel? Why didn't they ever ask something like "Say, Grunkle Stan, how often did Grandpa Shermy come to visit?" or whatnot? Does this somehow imply that the Twins aren't close with their Gramps or something?
[Image: tumblr_m50a7zX1S41rxzdbwo1_500.gif]
Some people are also mistaking Shermy as being a girl.
Really, Shermy also has the little hair floofs that stick out near the back of Dipper's and Mabel's hair. Which Stanley and Stanford also have.

See the important edit down below!

1. Either certain things aren't stacking up in Stanley's story (And yeah, Stanford's story has that same problem too.)
Or/And:
2. They just aren't really that close with their grandfather Shermy like you said.

What little we saw in Episode one, also hints that Dipper and Mabel aren't really that close with their parents either at the moment.
Since their dad works with a computer company, he might not be around as much.
If their mom also works in a demanding job too, then Shermy probably barely even gets talked about to the kids in their home.

This is probably why they are sent away for the summer: both parents have to work and can't be home to take care of them.
Dipper and Mabel probably don't have many friends back home either. So the parents have to find something for them to do other then stay in the house all day long without anyone to overseer them.

Stanford was also around when Shermy was growing up and Shermy probably took a shine to his older brother.
Or Filbrick talked about what a great son Stanford was to Shermy and never talked about Stanley in his presence.

Shermy tells this to his son, so his son only knows about Stanford. And Shermy's son thinks that Stanford might take good care of the kids over the summer because he's only been told good things about Stanford.
And has no idea or any knowledge that it's really Stanley.

I actually would like to see fics about Shermy and what he had to deal with growing up, though.

Important Edit: Well, this came up.
It could be we weren't viewing Shermy as a baby at all. It could have been Shermie's son (Dipper's and Mabel's father) instead that Filbrick and their mother was watching over for some time.
Don't show a hyena how well you can bite.--Mandi proverb

Join in the Christmas spirit in the Mystery Shack's Official Secret Santa thread!
(07-15-2015, 12:21 PM)Laughing Hyena Wrote: 1. Either certain things aren't stacking up in Stanley's story (And yeah, Stanford's story has that same problem too.)
Or/And:
2. They just aren't really that close with their grandfather Shermy like you said.

What little we saw in Episode one, also hints that Dipper and Mabel aren't really that close with their parents either at the moment.
Since their dad works with a computer company, he might not be around as much.
If their mom also works in a demanding job too, then Shermy probably barely even gets talked about to the kids in their home.

This is probably why they are sent away for the summer: both parents have to work and can't be home to take care of them.
Dipper and Mabel probably don't have many friends back home either. So the parents have to find something for them to do other then stay in the house all day long without anyone to overseer them.

Stanford was also around when Shermy was growing up and Shermy probably took a shine to his older brother.
Or Filbrick talked about what a great son Stanford was to Shermy and never talked about Stanley in his presence.

Shermy tells this to his son, so his son only knows about Stanford. And Shermy's son thinks that Stanford might take good care of the kids over the summer because he's only been told good things about Stanford.
And has no idea or any knowledge that it's really Stanley.

I actually would like to see fics about Shermy and what he had to deal with growing up, though.

Hey these are actually quite plausible!
Yah, the Twins may not be close to their parents, and that may have extended to their grandparents as well.
I do remember in the Deep End, Mabel somewhat happily showing Mermando a photo of her and most of the family. Dunno if this adds up to anything, but I thought I just had to mention this.

Somehow, another reason I just thought of might be because Shermy's deceased. I mean, why leave your kids with a relative you barely even know when you can leave them with their grandparents?

Quote:Important Edit: Well, this came up.
It could be we weren't viewing Shermy as a baby at all. It could have been Shermie's son (Dipper's and Mabel's father) instead that Filbrick and their mother was watching over for some time.

I'm actually open to the instance of Shermy being a lady. Though the 1960s was still a time when it was pretty rare for women to retain their last name after marriage (even moreso with naming their children by their mother's surname), the closest possibility I could think of would be that she gave birth to her son out of wedlock (which is less controversial than weird teenage pregnancies). This is probably why Filbrick stressed the importance of Stanford's potential to get them millions. But that photo of a woman in the scene showing Stanford's different academic medals looks older. Not only does the photo appear sepia-ish, the woman has a finger wave curl bob hairstyle, something that was fashionable in the 1920s to early 1930s. She could either be one of the STwins' grandmothers or an older relative.
[Image: tumblr_m50a7zX1S41rxzdbwo1_500.gif]
Linking to this as well.
Because:
Just when we thought the Grunkle4Grandpa theory died, it has now raised back from the dead in zombie form.

I think I caught the Mermando episode again when they had the Marathon leading up to AToRS:
Mabel is showing Mermando her scrapbook about things involving legs (Walking, Dipper getting kicked/tripped once, etc.). She does bring up that her parents took her to kickboxing lessons.

So we don't know how much involved their parents were despite their jobs. But we do know they were trying to get the kids involved in after school activities.
I can imagine how much Dipper hated being dragged into things he didn't want to do back home.

So yeah, Shermy might be deceased or Stanley is still lying on that part.
Don't show a hyena how well you can bite.--Mandi proverb

Join in the Christmas spirit in the Mystery Shack's Official Secret Santa thread!
no, it can't be. I mean, if stan is still a possible granpa for the kids why they wouldn't know? or how is it possible that their parents wouldn't know?

and, above all, if stan had kids (after stealing ford's identity) why fake he didn't? unless he had kids while he was stanley, but in that case he couldn't lie either! because the kids would know their grandpa's name was stanley.
from any point of view I see holes. the kids know that some "stanford" is they're grunkle as much as they know their grandpa name. when stan said "they're shermy's grandsons" they didn't deny it.

I just don't understand why he said "they're the only family I left". what about the kid's parents? he never had any contact with them and shermy in 30 years?
[Image: R3oYbjz.gif] [Image: sM0kaDy.gif]
[Image: finger_roll_dr_horrible.gif]
It's highly unlikely that Stanley has children. He was on the run and fleeing from government/police until he went to Stanford and it's really unlikely that he had a family and if so then he would have either taken them with him or lost any contact. And he's been busy getting his brother back ever since, also, if he got children after Stanford got sucked into the portal, then both Mabel's grandparents and parents would have been 15 years old when getting children.
[Image: S4G3Vhr.jpg]
To your first point about Shermy not making a big impact on their home life if he isn't the baby, I imagine it's a combination of two things. The first is that twins often have their own world. I'm not saying it's always the case, or even the case here, but my mom had twin younger brothers. In a family with five kids, my uncles often avoided their siblings, went off to do their own thing together, and when they did play with their brothers and sisters it was usually in the sense of "can't play tag with two people".

I also imagine there's an age gap. This is all guesswork, and conjecture, but back in the day it wasn't too unexpected for a girl to get pregnant and marry in highschool. My grandma has mentioned a few times that among her family (seven kids, four girls) she was the only sister to wait until after high school to get married, as well as the only one not to fool around with boys.

So a second theory, perhaps to convoluted to be mentioned, but still something to chew on, is as teens Grammy and gramps hook up and have Shermy. The two look to be around 40s-50's in the 1960s, so let's go ahead and say they're 47 during it, and so had Shermy in, let's say 1933 at the age of 18. A few years pass and they have the Stans in the early 1940s. Creating a gap of around ten years.

Drawing from personal experience (older sister who's eight years older then me from my dad, little sister 14 years younger from my mom) when there's a large age gap the siblings aren't too close. Added to that, following my theoretical timeline, Shermy would be 18 by 1951, and could've left home by the time the Stans were old enough to get to know Shermy.

As far why Alex would discuss Shermy and then show dad pines instead, I imagine it's a red herring. Alex mentions Shermy and shows a baby in Grammy Pines arms, but never says that baby is Shermy. That allows him to save Shermy as an ace for later. I can't imagine the importance Shermy could play, if he even will play an important roll instead of being a conveniant explanation for the twins existence. But Alex is full of surprises, maybe Shermy knows a few things about anomalies, maybe he's connected to Bill (unlikely), maybe he's nothing but an ordinary man who took over his father's business and lead a normal life.

But my point is its just something fun to think about. Personally I find "distant older brother" far more satisfying then Shermy being a cousin or other relative, or worse, revealing a blatant timeline error.