Book Throwing
Has there ever been a book you read all the way through and you ended up throwing it across the room because you hated it that much?

Mine will always be Interview with a Vampire by Anne Rice.
I still have no idea why this is considered to be the best "vampire" novel or why it is still hyped to this day.
And if you think that the issue of vampires being too super-powered with no weaknesses started with Meyer's Twilight... Anne Rice is really the true source of that descending nonsense.
Not to mention that the main character is a former slave owner and the book constantly wants us to feel sorry for him because he's now an immortal vampire...
Don't show a hyena how well you can bite.--Mandi proverb

Join in the Christmas spirit in the Mystery Shack's Official Secret Santa thread!
Where the red fern grows is the classic throwing book
(^I haven't read any of those so noted.)

Yes, 'The Last Battle' and the first book of 'The Silver Sequence'. Just thinking about them makes me ill.

'The Last Battle' for all the same reasons people do hate the book. It was like C S Lewis had leaned out from the pages to give the reader a giant slap in the face. Horrific and such a hateful view of the world. I do indeed remember throwing it across the room. I think the thing I hated most for me personally was that at the time I hadn't considered finding out other peoples opinions so I was stuck for a long while thinking there was something wrong with my reaction.

'The Silver Child'...where to begin? Granted I read this a very long time ago but this is what I remember. The only good thing about this book is that it's has decent creativity. Decent. The story is all over the place, the characters have no idea what they doing and it's a struggle to read because they're put through hell for no reason. Struggle is fine but struggle for the sake of struggle is incredibly dull. The worst thing was that only one character reacted to their situation realistically and all the others kept making him out to be wrong. He was literally falling apart, freaks out and all the others make him out to be unreasonable... wtf??? (btw, he really liked describing children decomposing while alive for some reason). I usually steer clear of books with children who don't know how to act like children but I especially hate when characters don't react appropriately.

I was so furious after reading such pointlessness go nowhere I just let the book fall from my hands into the bin.

About 'Interview with a Vampire', I usually don't read much vampire books as a general rule but I love classic horror (I'm currently listening to Dracula which is indeed excellent). People do go on about IWAV (can't be bothered sry). I think the reason I don't read much lit with vampires is I always found it weird we were meant to sympathize with them so quickly and one-sidedly. They kinda kill to live, probably shouldn't gloss over that but it's a trap I think a lot fall into. So I can see how annoying being forced to sympathize with a character can be. Definitely not going to read IWAV now...

Although here's a though: maybe the problem it's over-powered vampires maybe it's the fact it's taken for granted nowadays? Something so powerful and supernatural should be shown as what it is: otherworldly.
[Image: 101860422_stidenterprise3.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co5_400.gif]
An earth science textbook. Easily my least favorite science group, because if you know chemistry you can do everything they can in a better and more accurate way.
Earth science: "This rock is yellow! It smells like eggs! It must be sulfur!"
Me: "Well, it really has more to do with the chemical composition-"
Earth science: "Hey! This rock is sharp!"
Me: "You're cute."
[Image: ygNoHCo.png?fb]
^Wow really? Thank goodness we never had that as a subject...
[Image: 101860422_stidenterprise3.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co5_400.gif]
My book throwing subject would the House of Night series. I can't choose just one because they're all so awful.
I picked up a Hunger Games Book twice.
Once was to attempt to read it.
The results of this experiment are obvious by my second time:
Taking the book out of a friend's hands and putting it back on the shelf before hiding it behind other tween-lit books.
Another Yung Venuz, from Abia (Click to View)
[Image: attachment.php?aid=1623]
I've thrown 'The Good Earth'. It's a rather old book but a really good read once you get into it. I'll try not to give too much away. I got so mad at the book because throughout the beginning I was constantly rooting for the main character. But by the end I just wanted him and his family to go back to how they were living in the beginning.
[Image: moJhXmy.gif]
The Fault in Our Stars. It was awful because there were moments that were really well written and a pleasure to read, and maybe if John Green applied himself instead of drowning his writing in melodramatic teenage bullshit, his work would actually be enjoyable.

Copper Sun was also terrible.

The Septimus Heap (spelling?) series was very poorly written, but I never actually finished any of the books. I was too fed up.
[Image: Eg3lWTv.png][Image: tumblr_mcy2clswjj1qesb9j_by_homestuck__f...699rlh.png]
not a ship
(Despite being in the library where I found it as I type this, I can't remember the title of this book. I'll add it in when I can find it.)
I normally try to finish any book I read, but I gave up on this one three or so chapters in. The story and characters are set up to be either too perfect or too terrible. It begins with the main character and his best friend being initiated into this children's paradise through a riddle in the junkyard. We're given only a slight bit of information as to how this super-secret club is even joined, and the riddle is only told to us as it's explained. After getting in, we're told a bit about how this place has the absolute best of things, and these two are somehow rather popular despite being total newcomers to a hugely crowded invite-only hideout. We're given only a touch of interacting with the many, many attractions before going to the remote-control car race that was the sole motivation for the main character to come. (Seriously, a place built up to be that amazing isn't even thoroughly explored and isn't seen as that big a deal by people that have never been inside?) He comes in first in the race, which everyone seems to begin watching, and is adored even by those that destroyed their creations in the course. After this, they leave.
Antagonists, on the other hand, seem to be on the opposite side of the spectrum. Other-dimensional creatures have some situation putting them close to Earth but unable to interact with it, but they happen to have a long history of intense torture and violence, as well as technology thousands of years ahead of us. The extremism is taken to smaller areas as well, we're introduced to a bully at the end-of-school party, described as insanely disgusting and mean, and hated by all. With little actions shown to actually demonstrate this character, it seems all that was to make us feel a bit better about the protagonist's actions when he encounters him in the hall, which is to hurl insults at and fight with him. I'm pretty sure he's the one to throw the first punch, or at least leave the guy in a seriously injured state (doesn't he have a class to get to?). It's pretty hard to support a protagonist doing this to a kid at the start without more action to make you feel like justice is being served, and this is without the additional insults he hurls at the bully, mocking him for having a homeless dad and calling him a retard.
The need to have something either the best or the worst was just too much for me, and the unlikable protagonist pushed it too far to want to try any more. It was quite a shame, I would have much preferred seeing that world actually explored rather than made to be a trophy.
Keeping: Dipper's Disposable Cameras, Floating Eyeballs
[Image: gXPmp.jpg]