Book Throwing
(08-08-2015, 11:45 AM)Dimmu Pines Wrote: Where the red fern grows is the classic throwing book

Really? What didn't you like about it?
(10-08-2015, 07:50 PM)Floating Eyeball Wrote: (Despite being in the library where I found it as I type this, I can't remember the title of this book. I'll add it in when I can find it.)
I normally try to finish any book I read, but I gave up on this one three or so chapters in. The story and characters are set up to be either too perfect or too terrible. It begins with the main character and his best friend being initiated into this children's paradise through a riddle in the junkyard. We're given only a slight bit of information as to how this super-secret club is even joined, and the riddle is only told to us as it's explained. After getting in, we're told a bit about how this place has the absolute best of things, and these two are somehow rather popular despite being total newcomers to a hugely crowded invite-only hideout. We're given only a touch of interacting with the many, many attractions before going to the remote-control car race that was the sole motivation for the main character to come. (Seriously, a place built up to be that amazing isn't even thoroughly explored and isn't seen as that big a deal by people that have never been inside?) He comes in first in the race, which everyone seems to begin watching, and is adored even by those that destroyed their creations in the course. After this, they leave.
Antagonists, on the other hand, seem to be on the opposite side of the spectrum. Other-dimensional creatures have some situation putting them close to Earth but unable to interact with it, but they happen to have a long history of intense torture and violence, as well as technology thousands of years ahead of us. The extremism is taken to smaller areas as well, we're introduced to a bully at the end-of-school party, described as insanely disgusting and mean, and hated by all. With little actions shown to actually demonstrate this character, it seems all that was to make us feel a bit better about the protagonist's actions when he encounters him in the hall, which is to hurl insults at and fight with him. I'm pretty sure he's the one to throw the first punch, or at least leave the guy in a seriously injured state (doesn't he have a class to get to?). It's pretty hard to support a protagonist doing this to a kid at the start without more action to make you feel like justice is being served, and this is without the additional insults he hurls at the bully, mocking him for having a homeless dad and calling him a retard.
The need to have something either the best or the worst was just too much for me, and the unlikable protagonist pushed it too far to want to try any more. It was quite a shame, I would have much preferred seeing that world actually explored rather than made to be a trophy.

I feel like you're talking about 'The Marvelous Effect' by Troy CLE. I've actually read this book a couple years ago. It was underwhelming.
[Image: moJhXmy.gif]
^If you look on the lowest review you'll see the author actually responded to it.

I'm pretty sure that's not common and I actually find it kind of creepy... :/

Not to mention this book does sound incredibly boring...
[Image: 101860422_stidenterprise3.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co5_400.gif]
(10-08-2015, 10:18 PM)Scholar Wrote:
(08-08-2015, 11:45 AM)Dimmu Pines Wrote: Where the red fern grows is the classic throwing book

Really? What didn't you like about it?

I liked it but a lot of people hate the ending
[Image: 3263c9823ed97d5ff79593bf0aca4cfe3c4feaa6_hq.gif]
^ The Bitter End
(10-09-2015, 04:22 PM)Ash Wrote: I feel like you're talking about 'The Marvelous Effect' by Troy CLE. I've actually read this book a couple years ago. It was underwhelming.

Yep, that's the one! Thanks for finding it for me!
Keeping: Dipper's Disposable Cameras, Floating Eyeballs
[Image: gXPmp.jpg]
Perfume

Must read it for school
Makes me sleepy
Dont read this if you have coming up a latin lesson
latin lesson is the pure horror if you are sleepy after reading dat book
Help me!
People keep telling me to read this. Was never in a hurry...
[Image: 101860422_stidenterprise3.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co5_400.gif]
Crispin: The Cross of lead. I didn't hate this book, it was actually really good, but I had to stay up late reading It, and then fill out a worksheet in class the next day. I ended up having to finish it on the bus, because my mom found me sleeping with the open book on my face. I would have enjoyed this book if I didn't only have 2-3 days to finish it, and if I didn't have to do a book report after barely sleeping the night before. If I had finished the book before falling asleep, I probably would have chucked it across the room and went to sleep.
[Image: 10632367_867761079932188_880466293_n.jpg]
Twilight. It was that stupid.
Also, I am David. We had to read it for school last year and I hated it.
[Image: tumblr_msneb3uvKx1qe8ujwo8_500.gif]
(10-11-2015, 09:19 AM)GravityFallsGirl Wrote: Twilight. It was that stupid.
Also, I am David. We had to read it for school last year and I hated it.

You had to read it for school? I would have started a riot if I was forced to read that piece of junk.

For me, a book that I wanted to throw while reading it was The Maze Runner. I know it's all popular and stuff, but I just didn't like how it was, especially near the end. Didn't want to read the others because of it. I mean, I know dystopian books are popular and stuff, but that was pretty bad.
Pines Bros. Character (Click to View)

[Image: large.gif]