UnderTale and the "argument" of indie games
Found here.

What is UnderTale?

UnderTale is an Indie RPG game which deconstructs RPG tropes with a soundtrack by the talented Toby "Radiation" Fox, who you may recall worked on several tracks with Homestuck Creator Andrew Hussie.

It is everything games like OFF should aspire to develop into.

It takes place in a world in which man won a war against a race of monsters and cast them into the ground.

A human child with unknown intentions stumbles (?) into a chasm, and is met by a fourth-wall piercing flower named Flowey with sinister intentions and a mysterious goat named Toriel.

Battles take place in a style where enemy attacks are dodged in a bullethell style, and every random encounter is unique because, as the game's blurbs will tell you, this is an RPG where nobody has to die. You can talk to your foes, and even "spare" them, at the sacrifice of your LV (which stands for LOVE
) and the game remembers your choices. FOREVER.

It is a game, that I think, is a reply to the statement games like the Stanley Parable were making against games like OFF, which mocked the player for being violent and killing things despite not giving them a choice. This game is different because it DOES give the player a choice, all the time, without exception, and the path you go down WILL change the story and the ending.

I'd recommend looking into and buying UnderTale, because I'm love with it and I've only seen up to the Papyrus boss fight.
Another Yung Venuz, from Abia (Click to View)
[Image: attachment.php?aid=1623]
I just finished the demo a second time. Wow. It got much better with only one more play. Going to give it another go, poke at the different possibilities, but it looks really good. I'll get the full game shortly.

Rocks are assholes.

It reminds me a bit of Creatures Such As We, which is also definitely worth a playthrough.
[Image: Eg3lWTv.png][Image: tumblr_mcy2clswjj1qesb9j_by_homestuck__f...699rlh.png]
not a ship
The one section the demo focuses on has about four solutions with two extra variants for your playstyle.
The full game has, about mid-game, around 17 different states, almost all of which have consequences on events that happen later.
The TVTropes page for UnderTale has a "The Dev Team Thinks of Everything" page that's notably long.
Hmm, this looks really neat. I'll check it out!
~~If you have concerns, please send it to one of the mods~~

Based on what you said, OTC, I was expecting Flowey to be a lot more vicious on the violent run. Only about three of his lines were insulting. He only had about three lines, but still. He can do better.

I'm downloading the full game now. Should be able to make some progress tomorrow.

Just got past the battle with Undyne. She was surprising.
So far the comedic relief and drama haven't been too balanced. How good that is is subjective.
Mad Dummy had awesome theme music.
[Image: Eg3lWTv.png][Image: tumblr_mcy2clswjj1qesb9j_by_homestuck__f...699rlh.png]
not a ship
Spoilers about the different runs (Click to View)
The comedy relief and the drama don't really balance for most of the game. Most of it comes at the end, and when you reset. Resets stack on top of each other, and a handful of characters remember them. My first run once I understood everything was a near perfect Genocide Run. I got dunked on. I beat the hardest boss, though, so that's something. It's a super cool path.

If you're doing a mixed or basic pacifist run, I'd recommend keeping special healing items.
Aside from that, stay frosty. This game will mess you up if you don't understand it.
All righty. Completed first run. I'm not sure if I should go for genocide or pacifism next. I'm sure it'll be imperfect either way, but gotta start somewhere.
Think I'll go with murder. I'd like to know how it is to play with a higher LV. Only got to 12 this time.

The story is good. A bit of Flowey's dialogue was disappointing in the end. I'd have liked to see more of him, but that's what replays are for.

I'm not really a gamer, so I don't know how common games are where you have the option to actually be the villain. But this was fun. You really can be completely evil, should you choose, and it isn't spun to make you look like a good guy.

Sans was the most interesting character to me. Mettaton and Flowey were both a lot of fun, but Stans was a little less predictable and a bit more thought-provoking.
not a ship
Instructions for a Genocide route are pretty straightforward, really.
You grind in an area until you get into a battle and it says "but nobody came", and then you save.
You go along, attack toriel on the first turn, and then grind in each successive area and kill all the bosses. Eventually the differences will start to pile up.
Did you spare Flowey at the end of your *ahem* "neutral" run?
Played this game over last week and...

That guy who likes Gravity Falls, Undertale and Steven Universe simultaneously

[Image: undertale_logo.png]
(10-15-2015, 04:14 AM)Abia Wrote: All righty. Completed first run. I'm not sure if I should go for genocide or pacifism next. I'm sure it'll be imperfect either way, but gotta start somewhere.
Think I'll go with murder. I'd like to know how it is to play with a higher LV. Only got to 12 this time.

The story is good. A bit of Flowey's dialogue was disappointing in the end. I'd have liked to see more of him, but that's what replays are for.

I'm not really a gamer, so I don't know how common games are where you have the option to actually be the villain. But this was fun. You really can be completely evil, should you choose, and it isn't spun to make you look like a good guy.

Sans was the most interesting character to me. Mettaton and Flowey were both a lot of fun, but Stans was a little less predictable and a bit more thought-provoking.

Careful if you do a genocide route though, since it creates a small but important change in the pacifist ending that cannot be undone (not without deleting and re-downloading the game anyways).
I completed the true-pacifist route the other day, but since I didn't kill anyone in my neutral run I just had to go back and do a few extra things as oppose to restarting completely. I love this game so much but now I don't want to do a true reset because everyone's so happy! Sad
Never doing a genocide run lol. On a separate note I think Sans, Papyrus and Undyne are my favourite characters...
[Image: tumblr_npvrvfBXw31u6w1edo1_400.gif] Stay weird.