Mabel Pines Character Discussion
How could anyone hate Mabel? She's probably my favourite character. She's funny, sweet and has a big heart, and yeah, she shows signs of selfishness but she's flawed just like everyone else. She may act selfishly, but she's not a greedy person in general. Quite often it's for the benefit of others that motivates Mabel in her actions, and when she's looking out for herself, it's not much different than anyone else who wants something. But with Mabel, who is so outspoken and confident, when she wants something (either for herself or others) she goes for it and will dive right in without thinking about the consequences for her or the people around her.

Usually when her selfish side shows its because she tends to get so carried away, it's like she has blinders on and she seems naively oblivious to how it affects people around her. It's one of the traits that makes Mabel Mabel, and she always comes around when it matters or when she realizes she's in the wrong. She's flawed, but she has a lot of character growth and I see much more growth in the near future, not to mention she is a child after all, an overly extroverted one which makes her strengths and weaknesses much more obvious compared to more introverted characters.

Mabel's driven by good intent, she follows her heart but not always her head so sometimes her actions are misguided, but she never means to hurt anyone. And with faced with a choice or dilemma, she always tries to do the right thing.

Mabel's awesome and I think she's very underrated.
[Image: gravityfallsscaryoke2-300x168.jpg]
(08-30-2015, 08:08 AM)Love Patrol Alpha Wrote: Usually when her selfish side shows its because she tends to get so carried away, it's like she has blinders on and she seems naively oblivious to how it affects people around her. It's one of the traits that makes Mabel Mabel, and she always comes around when it matters or when she realizes she's in the wrong.

It's certainly a shared family trait that the Pines family has. Because all of them at one point or another tend to get carried away and drop all common sense out the window. As well as ignore the impact of their actions have on other people at times.

So it's weird that people are singling out Mabel just for this, when Stanford, Stanley, and Dipper have done similar things as well.

AwesomeDude1 Wrote:Iv'e noticed since mid season 2, some GF fans have been saying that Mabel is stupid, selfish, and uninteresting.

Okay, did any of these people pay attention to A Tale of Two Stans or what Irrational Treasure was about?

With Irrational Treasure: Just because one is silly doesn't discount what they have to offer. Sometimes insight to a puzzle/mystery can come from the unlikeliest of places.
A Tale of Two Stans: Stanley was seen as not being smart and not going to make far in his life in High School. And yet, he learned physics and other really hard subjects he wasn't good at just in an effort to get his brother back.
He's probably had people tell him all his life he wasn't worth anything, that he was dumb, silly, and easily accepted that role placed onto him.
All he needed was the Mystery Shack to discover that those people were wrong. Intelligence can come from different sources.

Mabel is certainly smart, it is just more focused on people, observational skills, and art skills. Whereas Dipper is more classical book/math smart.
Don't show a hyena how well you can bite.--Mandi proverb

Join in the Christmas spirit in the Mystery Shack's Official Secret Santa thread!
(08-30-2015, 06:51 AM)AwesomeDude1 Wrote:
(08-30-2015, 06:39 AM)Boom !!! Wrote: Maybe some "pacificdip is the only otp" guys. I think Mabel is really cool and much more interesting then Most other characters (Lets hope Theres not a mod who says that We have already such a thread) ;) I must say, sometimes, she is a little bit selfish and dont care what others think (Dipper), but at the end, shes still the coolest Character of the Show

There's a difference between making selfish mistakes and choices and being a selfish person.

I dont say shes a selfish person, but sometimes, she is selfish (accidentally)
[Image: mabel_pines_fan_button_by_requestbuttons-d5j5abu.png]

[Image: nope__by_willeaux-d4d3ij6.png] [Image: stamp___patrick_and_mayonnaise_by_miss_asakura.jpg]

Hidden Badged: Hidden
(08-30-2015, 10:35 AM)Boom !!! Wrote:
(08-30-2015, 06:51 AM)AwesomeDude1 Wrote:
(08-30-2015, 06:39 AM)Boom !!! Wrote: Maybe some "pacificdip is the only otp" guys. I think Mabel is really cool and much more interesting then Most other characters (Lets hope Theres not a mod who says that We have already such a thread) ;) I must say, sometimes, she is a little bit selfish and dont care what others think (Dipper), but at the end, shes still the coolest Character of the Show

There's a difference between making selfish mistakes and choices and being a selfish person.

I dont say shes a selfish person, but sometimes, she is selfish (accidentally)

Just like most of the pines family, really.
~~If you have concerns, please send it to one of the mods~~

I still hate Waddles. Just because he is everything about Mabel that is immature and weird given a body.
I still think the "Abaconings" story is one of the worst Gravity Falls plotlines, though it stings a little less now that Dipper has Ford.
We have thankfully been seeing less of Waddles as of late, and I hope it stays that way because his presence is a one way ticket to Mabel thinking she can get whatever she wants.
I think people have begun to hate on Mabel as of late because she is being very slow to change now that Ford is around.
Mabel still makes fun of Dipper like she always does, but now it's more pronounced because if Dipper doesn't want to take it he can just go downstairs and hang out with Ford. She's in Stan's camp, and has been since A Tale, so I think she doesn't like Ford, either.
Another Yung Venuz, from Abia (Click to View)
[Image: attachment.php?aid=1623]
(08-30-2015, 03:59 PM)Ontheceiling Wrote: I still hate Waddles. Just because he is everything about Mabel that is immature and weird given a body.
I still think the "Abaconings" story is one of the worst Gravity Falls plotlines, though it stings a little less now that Dipper has Ford.
We have thankfully been seeing less of Waddles as of late, and I hope it stays that way because his presence is a one way ticket to Mabel thinking she can get whatever she wants.
I think people have begun to hate on Mabel as of late because she is being very slow to change now that Ford is around.
Mabel still makes fun of Dipper like she always does, but now it's more pronounced because if Dipper doesn't want to take it he can just go downstairs and hang out with Ford. She's in Stan's camp, and has been since A Tale, so I think she doesn't like Ford, either.

100 % disagree with you just said.
Mabel is simply the contrary of Dipper..Both characters have their strenghts and weaknesses, so, its fine

[Image: nope__by_willeaux-d4d3ij6.png] [Image: stamp___patrick_and_mayonnaise_by_miss_asakura.jpg]

(08-30-2015, 05:10 PM)AwesomeDude1 Wrote:
(08-30-2015, 03:59 PM)Ontheceiling Wrote: I still hate Waddles. Just because he is everything about Mabel that is immature and weird given a body.

100 % disagree with you just said.
So, lemme see If I can bullet all these points of your opinion:
  • You like waddles
  • You loved the "Abaconings" short story during Little Gift Shop.
  • You think his presence is an improvement on Mabel's personality
  • In your opinion, the Abaconings story is weaker when you consider the addition of Ford later in the season.
  • You want to see more of Waddles.
  • You think the reason people have begun to hate Mabel is not Ford's presence causing the twins to drift apart.
  • Mabel makes fun of Dipper less than ever.
  • Mabel isn't more inclined toward hanging out with Stan.

Does all that sound about right?
Another Yung Venuz, from Abia (Click to View)
[Image: attachment.php?aid=1623]
"Keep calm and like Mabel" WAAAZZUUUPPP...but really, Its a Cartoon, so, why somebody would hate a Cartoon Character ? OTC, Do hate Kristen Schaal too? Thats a sin

(08-30-2015, 08:52 PM)Boom !!! Wrote: "Keep calm and like Mabel" WAAAZZUUUPPP...but really, Its a Cartoon, so, why somebody would hate a Cartoon Character ? OTC, Do hate Kristen Schaal too? Thats a sin
Also Cartoon Characters have personality. And there are people who discuss about these personalities.