4 Open Ends
9.09%
6 9.09%
5 Open Ends
83.33%
55 83.33%
Total 66 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

2x20 - Weirdmageddon 3: Take Back The Falls | 4: Somewhere in the Woods [FINALE]
How The Gravity Falls Finale Could've Been Better

The first time I saw the GF series finale, I loved it and thought it was the best episode of the series. But I think I drank the cool aid on that day. Now I realize that season 2 of GF was a rushed mess and the finale had major issues.

1. Don't have Stan get his memories back. That emotional scene of Stan loosing his memories was completely ruined because he gets his memories back 2 minutes later. It would've been so much more emotional if Stan did loose all of his memories, but grew close to Dipper, Mabel, and Ford again and started to make new memories with them.

2. Have the Ford and Mcgucket reunion be a bigger deal. These 2 were close friends and collage roommates. I think their reunion would've been more emotional.

3. Don't have Gideon redeem himself. Just let him be a little evil genius.

4. Have Ford and Mabel actually form a bond. They weren't close at all in the other episodes and it didn't seem like they cared about each other. Show that they do in the finale and have them become close.

5. Don't forget about Blendin. Yes I know that it's explained in the book what happened to him, but most casual fans only watch the show and don't care or know about the tie in books. In Part 1 of the finale, Blendin left to hide and that arc goes no where in the show. Horrible idea.

6. Give Wendy a bigger role. She had a cool role in Part 1 and was sidelined in Part 2 because of Mabelland. And she was sidelined again in Part 3 for no reason.

7. Give Bill a little more backstory. Don't explain his entire history, but give a little more motivation for his character.

8. Redeem Pacifica and have her actually become friends with Dipper and Mabel to complete her character arc. They forgot about her arc after The Golf War and NMM.

9. Don't let Mabel bring Waddles home. It would be great development for her and for her to accept growing up.

10. Have Mabel admit her mistake of giving the rift to Bill. She helped caused the apocalypse and no one knows that, not even her brother. I hated that they forgot that plot point.

11. Have the campfire scene from the Journal happen.

12. Make the episode an hour long special so you don't have to rush things.

13. Have both twins narrate the last scene. Gravity Falls is the coming of age story of both Dipper AND Mabel.

14. Don't tease that Bill is alive if he really isn't.

What do you think?
[Image: mabel_pines_fan_button_by_requestbuttons-d5j5abu.png]
AwesomeDude, overall I think you make some good points and some points that I disagree with, though overall I think your criticism nitpicks minor imperfections in the episode, and many of your ideas are unrelated to each other and unrelated to the intent of the episode. They ultimately don't add up to justify your argument that the episode was a "rushed mess," but I do see your point with the time constraints, which was definitely very constraining.

Points 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 11: these were probably things they considered but ultimately got cut due to time constraints. 8 had a brief scene (Pacifica did break a nail making them gifts), and 11 was put in the Journal, so it's canon. 12 illustrates quite clearly the issue behind the time constraints, but I think that was Disney's fault, not the production team. The rules of conventional television demand you reserve time for advertisements. I can't even begin to think how much better GF would have been if Netflix had gotten their hands on Hirsch before Disney did.

Point 1, Stan's memories: I think time constraints played a role in making this handled less competently than it could have been. However, Hirsch has previously stated that he explicitly did not want Stan to remain permanently amnesiac, because that would've detracted from the central themes of the series.

Point 3, Gideon: why don't you like the fact that Gideon is a dynamic character with a full character arc?

Point 9, Waddles: I'm pretty sure Hirsch has stated that this was an intentional decision to ensure audiences weren't too heartbroken. I agree that it would have added to Mabel's development, but then it would have taken away from the bittersweet emotional impact, to more of just a bitter impact.

Point 10, Mabel: I don't think that they "forgot" this plot point. Rather, it is literally irrelevant. Nobody blames Ford or Dipper when they are tricked by Bill, so why should we apply a double standard to Mabel? Everybody knows being tricked by Bill is an honest mistake (especially Ford and Dipper). They'd be hypocrites to hound Mabel over Bill, because they got tricked as well; and they'd also be hypocrites to hound Mabel over the rift, because they were responsible for safekeeping the rift in the first place but it ended up being carelessly left in Dipper's bag.

Point 13, narration: I definitely, definitely agree with you on this one. I do get what Hirsch is going for with Dipper-only narration as he tries to add a personal touch to the story, but I'd personally have preferred more equaitable sharing.

Point 14, Bill: loose ends make you yearn for them to be tied up, and the fact that they aren't makes it more memorable, imo. Like that itch you can't quite reach, except here you're permanently denied the satisfaction of scratching it. Unless Hirsch returns to GF, which he's left the door open to.
Quote:Nobody blames Ford or Dipper when they are tricked by Bill, so why should we apply a double standard to Mabel?

i will be honest while i think mabel is the worst character development-wise in the show i can now actually see where people are coming from when people say mabel is excusable

thank you i understand now
If Romance Academy 7 and Fight Fighters are video games that means there are multiple copies with multiple Rumbles and Giffanies

[Image: giffany_button_by_sparrowag17-d9k3kov.png]

Memes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhD7rdK7rJA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njbsOLFL3vs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG_JV5gU1LY
Because Mabel helped cause the end of the world.
TanookiNick Wrote:i will be honest while i think mabel is the worst character development-wise in the show i can now actually see where people are coming from when people say mabel is excusable

thank you i understand now

Thanks, that's really great to hear actually! Sometimes idk if what I'm saying gets through to people, especially since I have an unfortunate tendency to sometimes make my writing overly complicated.

AwesomeDude1 Wrote:Because Mabel helped cause the end of the world.

How is that justification for such a double standard when Ford played a bigger role in that than Mabel?

Ford's ego is what causes him to abandon Stan; to bring Bill into Gravity Falls in the first place; to ignore McGucket's warnings; to hide his past from his family until Dipper uncovers it; to endanger the rift by bringing it with him to the spaceship; and to manipulate Dipper into leaving Mabel.

He could have just not brought Bill into GF in the first place. He could have listened to McGucket. He could have been honest with his family. He could have kept the rift safe in the Shack basement. And he could have seriously considered how Mabel would feel about Dipper leaving (he repeats the same mistake he made with Stan here).

Does anyone blame Ford? Other than Ford himself, no. And I'm not saying anyone should. The Pines family is not a cesspool of negativity, blaming others and fighting. Sure, Ford blamed Stan for ruining his science project. But the fact that Dipper and Mabel *don't* assign blame after Sock Opera and D&MvTF speaks to their healthier relationship, which is intentionally contrasted with Stan/Ford. In Bill's cage in W3, Stan and Ford wonder what went wrong, and then decide to learn from Dipper and Mabel — they learn that holding grudges is meaningless, and work together instead.

Would you prefer Mabel to have been ostracized for the rift, like how Stan was ostracized after damaging Ford's science experiment? Both were instances of honest mistakes. And the fact that the Pines family learns from their mistakes, rather than repeats them, is very significant.
It's also probably too predictable as well.
[Image: 101860422_stidenterprise3.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co5_400.gif]
The other members of The Pines Family should know the truth though.
AwesomeDude1 Wrote:The other members of The Pines Family should know the truth though.

That doesn't answer the question of why that's relevant, at all, to the story or to the series. The Pines don't care, and I don't see why we should either.

In the moment, the Pines are more concerned about how to deal with the apocalypse and Mabel's safety, which are significantly more important concerns than the minutiae of how exactly the rift broke. Dipper assumes that it broke in the bag, highlighting just how irrelevant that minutiae is.

Additionally, Ford and Dipper are the ones who were responsible for the rift, and their negligence plays an equal, if not greater, role in its shattering. Ford shouldn't have endangered it by keeping it with him when going to the spaceship, and Dipper shouldn't have carelessly left it in his bag. With this in mind, it makes no sense for them to even question Mabel's role in its shattering, and perfect sense for them to instead worry about her safety instead.
(03-14-2017, 01:34 AM)ReptilePatrol Wrote:
AwesomeDude1 Wrote:The other members of The Pines Family should know the truth though.

That doesn't answer the question of why that's relevant, at all, to the story or to the series. The Pines don't care, and I don't see why we should either.

In the moment, the Pines are more concerned about how to deal with the apocalypse and Mabel's safety, which are significantly more important concerns than the minutiae of how exactly the rift broke. Dipper assumes that it broke in the bag, highlighting just how irrelevant that minutiae is.

Additionally, Ford and Dipper are the ones who were responsible for the rift, and their negligence plays an equal, if not greater, role in its shattering. Ford shouldn't have endangered it by keeping it with him when going to the spaceship, and Dipper shouldn't have carelessly left it in his bag. With this in mind, it makes no sense for them to even question Mabel's role in its shattering, and perfect sense for them to instead worry about her safety instead.

They should know the truth though. That's a secret you shouldn't keep from your family.
(03-14-2017, 04:26 AM)AwesomeDude1 Wrote: They should know the truth though. That's a secret you shouldn't keep from your family.

It's not a secret. Mabel does not actively hide it from her family; it's just that nobody cares enough to ask her. That's because it's irrelevant, for the reasons I previously stated. 

Why do you say that Dipper/Ford "should" know the truth when they themselves find it irrelevant and don't bother to seek it out?

If the episode were different — if there was a scene where they asked, and Mabel told — how would it add to or enhance the episode in any way?