4 Open Ends
9.09%
6 9.09%
5 Open Ends
83.33%
55 83.33%
Total 66 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

2x20 - Weirdmageddon 3: Take Back The Falls | 4: Somewhere in the Woods [FINALE]
(03-14-2017, 06:00 AM)ReptilePatrol Wrote:
(03-14-2017, 04:26 AM)AwesomeDude1 Wrote: They should know the truth though. That's a secret you shouldn't keep from your family.

It's not a secret. Mabel does not actively hide it from her family; it's just that nobody cares enough to ask her. That's because it's irrelevant, for the reasons I previously stated. 

Why do you say that Dipper/Ford "should" know the truth when they themselves find it irrelevant and don't bother to seek it out?

If the episode were different — if there was a scene where they asked, and Mabel told — how would it add to or enhance the episode in any way?

Mabel would finally admit that her actions have consequences.
[Image: mabel_pines_fan_button_by_requestbuttons-d5j5abu.png]
(03-14-2017, 03:50 PM)AwesomeDude1 Wrote:
(03-14-2017, 06:00 AM)ReptilePatrol Wrote: It's not a secret. Mabel does not actively hide it from her family; it's just that nobody cares enough to ask her. That's because it's irrelevant, for the reasons I previously stated. 

Why do you say that Dipper/Ford "should" know the truth when they themselves find it irrelevant and don't bother to seek it out?

If the episode were different — if there was a scene where they asked, and Mabel told — how would it add to or enhance the episode in any way?

Mabel would finally admit that her actions have consequences.
Again, the series intentionally avoids having that happen, because it was an honest mistake. Do you disagree with the Stan/Ford comparison I pointed out earlier?

Stan accidentally damages Ford's science experiment, and when Ford blames Stan, their relationship is destroyed. When it comes to Mabel accidentally giving Bill the rift, Dipper does not follow in Ford's footsteps. It's a clear example of the Pines learning from past mistakes, instead of repeating them. Would you prefer that they instead make the same mistakes over and over again?

Additionally, your argument does not address the issue of the double standard at play. Dipper and Ford don't get any flak for their significantly more consequential roles in allowing the rift to shatter; they were the ones responsible for it, and Mabel was essentially thrown under the bus by being forced to deal with something beyond her capabilities. Dipper also does not get any flak for getting tricked by Bill and causing the destruction of Mabel's sock opera; instead, it's Mabel who owns up to not being there for him. Similarly, when Mabel is tricked by Bill, Dipper is the one who owns up to not being there for her, as evident by his concern for her safety in W1.
would like to point out that Ford gets a significant amount of criticism from other areas in the GF fandom, particularly Tumblr
[Image: Eg3lWTv.png][Image: tumblr_mcy2clswjj1qesb9j_by_homestuck__f...699rlh.png]
not a ship

[Image: 101860422_stidenterprise3.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co5_400.gif]
(03-14-2017, 11:45 PM)Nefari Wrote: would like to point out that Ford gets a significant amount of criticism from other areas in the GF fandom, particularly Tumblr

My apologies if there was any ambiguity — I was referring to only what happens in the series itself.

In the series, Dipper and Ford never receive any criticism for their dealings with Bill or the rift. The only exception is Ford criticizing himself. AwesomeDude is arguing that Mabel should "admit her mistake" "because Mabel helped cause the end of the world" and "the other members of The Pines Family should know the truth"; I'm pointing out that this is a double standard because it completely overlooks Ford and Dipper's equally, if not greater, role in losing the rift to Bill. 

Therefore to argue that Mabel, and only Mabel, should have received criticism or blame in the series is unfair. You either have all of them take blame, or none of them. The series chooses the latter, because the Pines family learned from Stan's ostracization that getting hung up over honest mistakes is meaningless and counterproductive.
oh, yeah, my bad then. i agree with you here, they're all equally responsible--if anything, Ford is at the greatest fault, because he's both a responsible adult and the instigator of the whole thing--but like you said, there's no real purpose in identifying and ostracizing any of them for it. putting emphasis on whose fault it was wouldn't do much for the themes of forgiveness and unity.
[Image: Eg3lWTv.png][Image: tumblr_mcy2clswjj1qesb9j_by_homestuck__f...699rlh.png]
not a ship
Mabel Should Have Been Called Out for Her Deal [Gravity Falls]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IQ76q1EYS0
[Image: mabel_pines_fan_button_by_requestbuttons-d5j5abu.png]
Quote:We, the Fallers of the Mystery Shack, hear by make this promise. From now on, and forever more, we shall uphold the legacy of the Cartoon Series known as "Gravity Falls". We shall never tarnish it's memory, and instead enhance it, adding to it's glory. We promise to never forget Gravity Falls. Never again will we tarnish it's memory with bad fan fictions like "Dipper Goes to Taco Bell". We promise to always remember, never forget, and to uphold this show. Gravity Falls will not die.

Also, we forever swear fealty and loyalty to our lord and master, Bill Cipher.

Can't believe I just now found this.
*signs with large lettering*
Madness is Amazingness!
[Image: tumblr_nyb3peWkus1uq9ys2o1_500.gif]