Alex Hirsch
I was waiting for that SirDip.
[Image: 101860422_stidenterprise3.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co5_400.gif]
Sony Animation has given us some good animated films like Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs.
[Image: mabel_pines_fan_button_by_requestbuttons-d5j5abu.png]
*looks at wiki page*

Aaaaaaaaaand...that's about it.

Oh, and The Emoji Movie :D
[Image: 101860422_stidenterprise3.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co5_400.gif]
Yeah, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (and maybe Surf's Up) represents Sony Animation's extremely limited amount of actually decent films. CWACOM directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller turned down an offer to run SPA, saying (via Cartoon Brew) “artists have been treated like paper, and it’s too hard to do great work there.” The duo defected to Warner (which has cleaned up its act since the '90s), where they later made The Lego Movie, a far superior film that clearly did not suffer from the corporate bureaucracy currently restraining SPA.

To be fair SPA has made attempts to improve their work though, including a failed attempt to poach the aforementioned Brad Bird from Pixar. I'm going to be optimistic and hope that their recruitment of Alex Hirsch signals better days for the studio ahead, but in discussing the new animated Spider-Man film, it's worth exploring the track record of the studio helming it.
I dunno, seems like a strange move overall but I guess the fool knows what he's doing.
Keep in mind that the two guys who directed The Lego Movie are also directing this. Coupled with Alex's involvement (and hopefully Sony producers not meddling like they usually do), this might turn out to be a good flick.
“Ends are not bad things, they just mean that something else is about to begin. And there are many things that don't really end, anyway, they just begin again in a new way. Ends are not bad and many ends aren't really an ending; some things are never-ending.” ― C. JoyBell C.
[Image: Sig.gif]
Sony has been eager to promote the names of Chris Miller and Phil Lord, but they're only serving as the film's executive producers, while Lord is also one of the writers. The film is being directed by Peter Ramsey (director of Rise of the Guardians) and Bob Persochetti (first time director; previously head of story on The Little Prince and Puss in Boots).

I looked up Sony's press release on about the directors/producers:
http://www.sonypictures.com/corp/press_r...slate.html

It appears that because their directors are generally unknown, they've opted to relegate them to the fine print, and instead promote the involvement of their more well known executive producers.

It also appears that Sony has been working hard to acquire better talent: bringing Genndy Tartakovsky back in the fold after he wanted to leave, poaching Kirk de Micco from DreamWorks, somehow getting their hands on Lin-Manuel Miranda, and now Alex Hirsch. Their press release's continued disrespect for their directors is a bit sketchy (Miranda, Miller and Lord received much more prominent placement), but I think, looking at their schedule, that they've decided to make a change in the way they work.

They've got a whopping three films scheduled for this year, and for all we know The Emoji Movie might actually be good. Their history may be a bit unsavory, but I'm willing to give them another chance. We'll have to see what happens this year.
Lord and Miller aren't directing this film. The dude who directed The Little Prince is.
[Image: mabel_pines_fan_button_by_requestbuttons-d5j5abu.png]
Oh I'll be giving them a chance, I just find it highly amusing.