rule changes?: accessibility, clarity, necroposting
(07-29-2016, 01:54 PM)Hanaurie Wrote: I am sad my thread will be merged for the greater good. LSP's face will no longer great people on the good day thread and that was my one good thread too :(

LSP will still appear in the glorious trash thread
(07-29-2016, 02:14 PM)daJoschi Wrote:
(07-29-2016, 01:54 PM)Hanaurie Wrote: I am sad my thread will be merged for the greater good. LSP's face will no longer greet people on the good day thread and that was my one good thread too :(

LSP will still appear in the glorious trash thread

Oh...oh yeah, that's cool.
[Image: 101860422_stidenterprise3.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co5_400.gif]
(07-29-2016, 01:05 PM)Eternal-E Wrote:
(07-29-2016, 10:55 AM)Hanaurie Wrote: I don't understand the necro-posting thing. I thought this forum's policy was having single rather than multiple of the same thread (which I like, more tidy and longer discussions) so it seems like it'd be easy to do unintentionally.

Necroposting is a good thing when one has something meaningful to contribute to a specific topic. The problem, as Abia said, is reviving threads without a good reason.

(07-29-2016, 01:09 PM)Hanaurie Wrote: That part needs to be defined a little better then because it's so subjective.

i'm not sure how to define this other than intent and common sense, which admittedly are both pretty unfair.

i don't know if it's a good idea to link to or quote specific examples of 'bad' necroposting so

what i personally had in mind for this was:
'good' necroposting is when someone revives a thread to add or ask for responses that contribute to the purpose of the thread. the actual focus of the thread can absolutely change over time, so i'd say rule of thumb would be posts that either follow the original focus of the thread, follow the focus of the thread as it was later in its post history, or just generally match the point of the thread?
'bad' necroposting would be replying to an old thread in a way that either encourages fighting or complaining before conversation.
whether or not the original thread is silly or serious shouldn't have anything to do with it imo; a revival of the farting thread can be 'good', and a revival of the world news thread can be 'bad'.

e.g. say the Quote thread died and was revived several months later. 'good' might be adding another quote to the thread, 'bad' might be bumping it only to say "Wow, what a dumb thing to quote!" or "LOL!" or "bumping because i can ;)" or something like that.
it's definitely not bad to bump something to ask for other people's thoughts, even if you don't have any of your own. like maybe bumping the philosophy thread to see what people have been thinking about, or bumping the pets thread to see if anyone has any stories or pictures of their pets, even if the user who revives the thread doesn't actually have anything specific to say about their own philosophies or pets.

it definitely can be done accidentally, i don't think this should be enforced harshly or a bannable offense, just discouraged in cases where necroposting is closer to spam than conversation.
[Image: Eg3lWTv.png][Image: tumblr_mcy2clswjj1qesb9j_by_homestuck__f...699rlh.png]
not a ship
Speaking of the double posting thing, I usually do it, but in order to bump with new information about movies and TV shows in their respective threads.
“Ends are not bad things, they just mean that something else is about to begin. And there are many things that don't really end, anyway, they just begin again in a new way. Ends are not bad and many ends aren't really an ending; some things are never-ending.” ― C. JoyBell C.
[Image: Sig.gif]
Well, I'm probably the only one who keeps the Image Edit thread in the Fanart section alive
Going to bump this with some additional suggestions:

(12-07-2016, 02:46 PM)Nefari Wrote: specify that posts should contribute to the conversation, and start actively enforcing the rule instead of always letting it slide.

2. Fix the formatting in the rules so that there are not constant line breaks in the middle of sentences.
[Image: Eg3lWTv.png][Image: tumblr_mcy2clswjj1qesb9j_by_homestuck__f...699rlh.png]
not a ship
I double post more than I should (I even triple-posted in the birthday thread), so I feel like double posting should be allowed if it's worthwhile.
Made by FunnyFany
[Image: latest?cb=20150502165211]
[Image: donkey_kong_fan_button__updated__by_requ...5h4w0c.png]
DK is coming to steal your bananas. And kick some ass. And steal more bananas.
^ exactly, which is why I think the rules should be more explicit about what is considered an acceptable double post.
not a ship
another suggestion: create a new section for the rules labelled "Posting Etiquette", and move the information about bumping and necroposting under that section. additionally, include information about general etiquette, such as responding with more than one word, and avoiding repeatedly quoting a block of text or large images if they've already been posted on the same page. (good example of that is here, where two massive images are quoted twice each on the same page. it's unnecessary and causes more lag/scrolling than is needed.)
not a ship