Season 3
Yes, I think that there very well could be a season 3.

The main reasons I believe this is because of these two things:
- Bill Cipher's last words
- Alex said some things in interviews
Time to explain.

Bill's last words
Bill's famous last words reversed, as most know, says the following: "A X O L O T L, MY TIME HAS COME TO BURN, I INVOKE THE ANCIENT POWER THAT I MAY RETURN"
Thanks to a Gravity Falls choose-your-own-adventure story, we know that Axolotl is an all-powerful being. Whoever finds them can ask them one question before completely forgetting their encounter. That's about it. I personally don't think it would be hard to believe that Bill has a connection with Axolotl, whoever they are.

Quote from Alex
We know Alex is happy with the way that the finale turned out. However, he also said this: “Its not inconceivable that one day we may return to this world because they are such rich characters, and with a little bit of time away from it, it’s possible there may be a special or something.”

With all of the strings in the last episode of Season 2, and Alex saying that a return isn't impossible, I think that it's very possible we'll see a season 3. Or at least a special or something, much later.

I hope so at least.
[Image: SugdXdJ.gif]
Also at the end of the last episode it said "See you next summer". Maybe that was for season 3.
Bill Cipher (Click to View)
[Image: 19aa19032b0674bf3d33967b7d301c6b.gif]
A Season 3 will happen when Hell freezes over.
I am tired during the day. GRANDPA THE KIIIID!

I'm turning over a new leaf. Literally.

[Image: Leaf_1_web.jpg]

I don't think Hirsch has any ideas or secret plans for a season 3, but is rather simply leaving the option open in case he ever changes his mind. If it is indeed up to him and not up to Disney executives (sort of like the Pixar policy on sequels I guess), then it could be years before something gives him an idea and compels him to make more, if he does get a new idea at all.

With that having been said, Hollywood is notorious for all their sequels, reboots, remakes, and more. Disney Television Animation, not so much — unless I'm mistaken, DuckTales is their only property that ever got a sequel or reboot or remake, and this one is coming 27 years after the original ended. DTA does have some series based on WDAS features in the pipeline too (Tangled and Big Hero 6), but that's kinda different.

Given the way season 2 ended the series so perfectly, I don't think season 3 (or at least a continuation of Dipper/Mabel's story) is a thing that will happen, ever. But I wouldn't rule out a movie, special, spin-off or remake. Spin-off or special is probably likeliest if any of these do ever happen (movies are notoriously hard to get off the ground, while a remake is just unnecessary) - and I could totally imagine a Legend of Korra-style approach to making a spin-off, wherein it's different characters in the same universe.

But anyway, as I previously said, if Disney isn't acting on anything, then it'll just all be up to when Alex Hirsch gets a new idea for more, which will probably at the very very earliest be after he is done writing that Pokémon movie and getting his new series at Fox off the ground.
i want six seasons and a move :(

Okay seriously, it was too obvious by what stan said at the end of season 1 (Half of summer is over) that GF was going to end with Season 2 if the show was about one big summer.

I guess "See you next summer" was for the case we get GF comics, or if Disney decides to keep the show running without Hirsch's team, what is actually very unlikely because while Disney begged him to make a third Season, they supported him for the 2 Season project.
Alex is currently making a new television series for FOX though. Like Rebecca sugar was with adventure time, it's unlikely Alex would work on two shows simultaneously either.
(08-20-2016, 08:41 AM)daJoschi Wrote: Okay seriously, it was too obvious by what stan said at the end of season 1 (Half of summer is over) that GF was going to end with Season 2 if the show was about one big summer.

In the first season, noone mentioned half the summer being over, due to it being planned to be 3 seasons at that point.

In season 2 however, they made it pretty clear from the very beginning, that the summer was halfway over.
oh funk gotta dronk my honk
I don't want a third season, I think the show should be over. It had a good ending, and another season would ruin that.
Made by FunnyFany
[Image: latest?cb=20150502165211]
[Image: donkey_kong_fan_button__updated__by_requ...5h4w0c.png]
DK is coming to steal your bananas. And kick some ass. And steal more bananas.
This is why I think specials later down the line would be the most plausible option instead of a sequel series or a pretty farfetched season 3.

Heck, we know Alex is gonna be busy the next couple of years with him co-writing for the Detective Pikachu movie as well as working on his Fox show.
“Ends are not bad things, they just mean that something else is about to begin. And there are many things that don't really end, anyway, they just begin again in a new way. Ends are not bad and many ends aren't really an ending; some things are never-ending.” ― C. JoyBell C.
Lol, detective pikachu? That was a Jape, bro