Unpopular GF Opinions
I think Blendin is that kind of "He sounds like Lemongrab" character.
Blendin's more of a plot point to me, he doesn't need to be funny.
[Image: 101860422_stidenterprise3.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co5_400.gif]
Soos was never funny
[Image: Eg3lWTv.png][Image: tumblr_mcy2clswjj1qesb9j_by_homestuck__f...699rlh.png]
not a ship
I secretly have a crush on Toby Determined. :P
[Image: a8wTLcn.png]
GRAPPLING HOOK!
I guess I'm weird but nothing Mabel did really bothered me. I never even thought of it the way you dudes do until I saw it here.

Though I admit, the one time I thought of her as selfish was at the end of Dipper and Mabel vs The Future. She didn't even hear Dipper's side and freaked out over a soundbite :/
[Image: eM0FPqU.gif]
Me neither, to be honest.
[Image: a8wTLcn.png]
GRAPPLING HOOK!
all 3 Weirdmageddon episodes had good ideas, but part 1 was the only one that didn't waste them, and that's just because it was too busy introducing them to interfere or develop 'em
[Image: Eg3lWTv.png][Image: tumblr_mcy2clswjj1qesb9j_by_homestuck__f...699rlh.png]
not a ship
Here's some of my thoughts. The first and third kinda arose seeing people's earlier posts.​

— Mabel is not just the most underrated character in the series, but also the best character in the series.
She's incredibly unique, her character is incredibly complex, and the controversy we're seeing just goes to show how she's a very thought-provoking character. I'll share more detailed thoughts in the Mabel thread later, but for now I'll just say I think her development is fantastic in how it ties directly into the central themes of the series, moreso than Dipper even.

— The fandom is too Dipper-centric.
I feel like much of the fandom is more interested in the more Dipper-ish aspects of the series (by that I mean the mystery element), which leads to people overlooking the more Mabel-ish aspects of the series (by that I mean the emotional and thematic core of the series, or the driving force behind the essence of the series).

The mystery element is exciting, for sure, but I think the better part of Gravity Falls is how it captures the zeitgeist of adolescence, and is a nostalgic, fantastical recreation of that experience. Although the mystery/Dipper part plays into this, I think Mabel plays a significantly larger role, especially in season 2 when she's confronted with the end of her childhood and the inevitability of becoming a teenager, because that's ultimately what ties the thematic and emotional cores together (and this kind of ties into my previous point).

Part (or maybe even all) of this could be due to the male bias in both the series and in the audience, a topic worthy of further dissection, but as someone who likes Mabel more as a character, the fandom's bias becomes very evidently obvious.

— Roadside Attraction is a great episode.
The only criticism I can offer for it is the lack of Mabel/male bias in general, but other than that I think it's a great episode. It deals with an issue a lot of guys have dealt with in their life, and does so in a fun, whimsical way that successfully incorporates a classic element of many traditional American summer experiences: the road trip. As people have said earlier, it's also a great calm-before-the-storm type of episode. Finally, the comedy and animation is just as good here as it is in other episodes.

— There is a fantastic, ingenious use of gender roles in the series, specifically in Dipper and Mabel's dynamic.
Dipper and Mabel are the only two major characters that fall into traditional gender dichotomies. Dipper is logical, Mabel is emotional; Dipper is proactive, Mabel is reactive; Dipper is protective, Mabel often needs saving; Dipper is into mysteries, Mabel is into arts and crafts. Although this could be easily criticized as a sexist imposition of outdated gender norms, that would ignore (A) the semi-autobiographical nature of the series and (B) the writers' infrequent, but intentional, instances of defying these gender roles (i.e. Mabel rejecting Stan's offer of a doll, which epitomizes traditional ideas of girls' toys, in favor of a grappling hook, a tool with traditionally masculine connotations attached instead).

An example of what I mean by this:

[Image: i32mLe7.png]

Look at the picture. Look closely. I'm sure many of us experience a visceral, emotional response, even if it's subtle, because, let's face it, this picture is adorable. Dipper and Mabel are being adorable in this picture, and it is intended to make them look adorable.

However, this adorableness would probably decrease substantially if not vanish entirely, if you reversed their roles here. After a lot of thinking, I realized that this is because Gravity Falls takes advantage of our subconscious notions of gender roles to elicit a visceral emotional response. Similar to how it's cute when guys and girls dress up in a tux and dress, respectively (for example, say, at prom, or think Dipper & Pacifica in NMM), it's cute here when our subconscious notions of gender are manipulated with an image that suggests interplay between traditional masculine and feminine traits.

It's a romanticized, sentimental depiction of the sibling playfulness between Dipper and Mabel in a way that stirs joy, nostalgia, and other visceral emotions. Little things like Mabel clinging to Dipper's vest (S1E3), Dipper being protective of Mabel from Gideon (S1E4/S1E20), Dipper driving the motorcycle (S2E8) or Mabel falling asleep on Dipper's shoulder (S2E20) all utilize gender roles to build up a lovable sibling dynamic — it'd be less "normal" if instead it was Mabel saving Dipper from the gnomes or Dipper getting his hair ruined on photo day, with "normal," being, of course, our subconscious notions of gender and gender roles.

I could go on forever about this one so I'm going to stop (someone let me know if my long wall of text doesn't make sense lol). Thanks if you actually read it. And I'd be totally down to talk about my points more if any of you want.
Most of these ain't even unpopular, but whatever, I guess
(notice that all of them start with "I")
I really think that Robbie should've gotten more character depth, because he was in the Zodiac, and everyone else had a lot of depth

I think that Bill Cipher is a good villain, but there isn't very many reasons to like him. Gideon has more depth, and sorta has a reason to be evil. Bill doesn't

I absolutely hate Dippy Fresh (that one is probably popular)

I don't like Mabel, but I don't hate her (one of my more flip-floppy decisions, and this one will probably change)

Will add more once my brain functions, probably
If salty and bitter are flavors, why isn't spite?
I think

maybe

we over think things.
[Image: 101860422_stidenterprise3.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co5_400.gif]