Sarah's Scribbles
you've probably seen them, even if you didn't know what they were called. these:

[Image: tumblr_mu5l5tk5U31qiuiebo1_540.jpg]

i have some commentary prepared on it but i will wait because having a ranty OP is questionable.

your opinions?
[Image: Eg3lWTv.png][Image: tumblr_mcy2clswjj1qesb9j_by_homestuck__f...699rlh.png]
not a ship
these suck a lot
Yo #teens! While you're out there gettin rad remember that your death is 100% inevitable & all life is meaningless, bae.✌

i think they're funny, not my all time favorite comic, but still awesome.
though some are pretty female biased i guess, so i can see why men may not like them as much.
I'm about as edgy as a ball of raw cookie dough 
[Image: chocolate_by_cuppycakekitty-d9lkljt.png][Image: cat_puns_by_cuppycakekitty-d9kuqy6.png]
I find them funny, but I'm a minority in that regard it seems.
[Image: a8wTLcn.png]
GRAPPLING HOOK!
Meh.... indifferent.
Made by FunnyFany
[Image: latest?cb=20150502165211]
[Image: donkey_kong_fan_button__updated__by_requ...5h4w0c.png]
DK is coming to steal your bananas. And kick some ass. And steal more bananas.
I actually find them quite funny, didn't think I was in the minority. Hm.
[Image: tumblr_msneb3uvKx1qe8ujwo8_500.gif]
Well in this thread alone there's only two who don't like them and three that do, so I don't think you're in the minority on this one.
Made by FunnyFany
[Image: latest?cb=20150502165211]
[Image: donkey_kong_fan_button__updated__by_requ...5h4w0c.png]
DK is coming to steal your bananas. And kick some ass. And steal more bananas.
[Image: sDNBqSP.jpg]

I have her book...
GRAPPLING HOOK!
nah, you guys are almost definitely in the majority here. if more people disliked them, they wouldn't be as wildly popular. the overexposure is absolutely part of the reason why i dislike them anything beyond just mild irritation--i see them almost everywhere i go.

on the "vaguely sexist" thing, as i mentioned in a previous thread:
considering 2/3 of her posts are about periods, it's safe to say that this is not a series meant to appeal to men. that's absolutely fine; it's not sexist to appeal to one gender any more than it's ageist to write a story for adults. i don't think the creator is deliberate or thinks men are inferior (after all, as she points out in every other update, she has a boyfriend). however, i do take issues with posts like this:
http://68.media.tumblr.com/fcdf3f10d698b...1_1280.jpg
wherein a female, who has never been, never wanted to be, nor ever will be male, assumes she has the ability to accurately describe what it's like to be one.
the whole thing reeks of "WE HAVE PERIODS! WE HAVE IT HARDER!" and is made with no consideration of what it's actually like to be male. it's incredibly dismissive and self-congratulatory.
or here:
https://d30womf5coomej.cloudfront.net/c/...68b5ad.jpg
aside from being a terrible and inaccurate generalization, it promotes a dynamic that actively rewards self-loathing.

in all those hundreds of pages of comics, including ones that are anti-misogyny, the author never once attempts to consider the male point of view, nor any difficulties or social pressures that men endure. if anything relating to that is mentioned, it is only so that she is able to dismiss it in favor of women.

the jokes and points of the comic look like they were plucked, unmodified, from viral tumblr posts. they aren't articulating anything that isn't easy to say. for better execution of similar ideas, i would suggest taking a look at Hyperbole and a Half, an illustrated blog by someone who is genuinely likable and sincere with her audience. Allie, the writer of HaaH, feels like a real person. her posts related to mental health are unabashedly personal, as opposed to the generic, half-assed "DAE anxiety?!?!??!" garbage you'd find on Sarah's Scribbles. she appeals to the same sort of awkward, random quirkiness as SS, but does so in a way that is specific to her and not built to be relatable to literally everyone who reads them.
SS presents itself as Quirky and Unique while exclusively illustrating things that everyone who lives in a first world country has experienced or witnessed.

there are very few jokes. almost all of the humor comes from being random or stating the obvious, and almost all of it isn't funny. the art is mediocre at best, and her actual site is filled to the brim with self-advertisements in between posts.

and then a complete lack of self-awareness.
for example, this comic, wherein she criticizes people for sharing the exact sort of sentiments she posts about.
there is also a comic with terrible perspective that criticizes others for expressing the same desires the main character has expressed consistently throughout earlier comics.
this (bonus). first off--this does not happen. people do not go up to strangers for the exclusive purpose of insulting their wardrobes. people within their social circles are not obligated to only say positive things about each other or each other's interests. insulting other people's mannerisms and hobbies is exactly what she does in dozens of her own comics.
and here, where someone who congratulates herself and demands attention for accomplishing or experiencing what the majority of people do calls other people out on being "special snowflakes".

and the appeal of the comics? they're #relatable. it's a lazy, manipulative way to attract an audience. the comics take no risks, say nothing meaningful, and are incredibly generic and unoriginal. there are very, very few of her posts that aren't simply earlier posts being restated in some unimproved, marginally different way--they're repetitive as hell.

so, those are my thoughts regarding Sarah's Scribbles. i don't like them.
[Image: Eg3lWTv.png][Image: tumblr_mcy2clswjj1qesb9j_by_homestuck__f...699rlh.png]
not a ship
I'm a guy and I don't really find them at all misandrist, but you're welcome to that interpretation as a woman. I mean, re puberty, women get more or less all the same issues, but also periods, so they do kinda have the edge there.

Also I mostly just like her comics about what it's like to be a young adult. I don't really analyse her work though, I just enjoy it. :)
GRAPPLING HOOK!