Sarah's Scribbles
(12-11-2016, 02:18 PM)CoffeeGrunt Wrote: I'm a guy and I don't really find them at all misandrist, but you're welcome to that interpretation as a woman.
I don't think either of our genders has an effect on whether or not the comic is sexist.

(12-11-2016, 02:18 PM)CoffeeGrunt Wrote: I mean, re puberty, women get more or less all the same issues, but also periods, so they do kinda have the edge there.
The issue isn't who goes through a worse puberty. That's irrelevant. The issue is that Sarah's Scribbles is being an asshole about it, and completely dismissing any hardship that comes with male puberty. Having it worse doesn't give you the right to mock people who have it better, and it doesn't mean the people who have it better don't have any problems. Not to mention she has no fair way of comparing the two experiences, nor does she make any attempt to.

(12-11-2016, 02:18 PM)CoffeeGrunt Wrote: Also I mostly just like her comics about what it's like to be a young adult. I don't really analyse her work though, I just enjoy it. :)
Exactly my point. Taking them at face value is what allows people to like them. Because they're cute, they're relatable, and those who only take a glance at them are not going to see how formulaic and manipulative they are.
[Image: Eg3lWTv.png][Image: tumblr_mcy2clswjj1qesb9j_by_homestuck__f...699rlh.png]
not a ship
(12-11-2016, 08:47 PM)Nefari Wrote: The issue isn't who goes through a worse puberty. That's irrelevant. The issue is that Sarah's Scribbles is being an asshole about it, and completely dismissing any hardship that comes with male puberty. Having it worse doesn't give you the right to mock people who have it better, and it doesn't mean the people who have it better don't have any problems. Not to mention she has no fair way of comparing the two experiences, nor does she make any attempt to.

Probably because overthrowing gender disparity isn't in the remit of a webcomic, not everything needs to be so politicised and nor should it be forced to. Especially when discussing the production of simple comics intended for immediate consumption and little more.

Not everything is a conspiracy against some group or other. If she made the effort to give fair parlance to the trials and tribulations of growing up male or female, then transgender people would be left out. If they expanded to cover them, then nonbinary people or genderfluid people would be saying that it's only enforcing the gender binary and want more representation.

Suddenly you have a situation where a cisgender woman who, while likely meaning well, is trying to cover issues she hasn't got the same personal experience in. You end up with a comic that pleases no-one while trying to please everyone.

It's the core problem of SJ politics at the moment. And again, as a male I took it as a female view of growing up and dealing with life, which has some confluence with my own feelings and some variance when her experiences come into it.

(12-11-2016, 08:47 PM)Nefari Wrote: Exactly my point. Taking them at face value is what allows people to like them. Because they're cute, they're relatable, and those who only take a glance at them are not going to see how formulaic and manipulative they are.

Everything is formulaic and manipulative towards some agenda to some degree. Everything is political.

I mean, give me an example of a piece of media that doesn't have a level of manipulation or an underlying agenda to it.
[Image: a8wTLcn.png]
GRAPPLING HOOK!
(12-12-2016, 01:05 AM)CoffeeGrunt Wrote: Not everything is a conspiracy against some group or other.

(12-12-2016, 01:05 AM)CoffeeGrunt Wrote: I mean, give me an example of a piece of media that doesn't have a level of manipulation or an underlying agenda to it.
Yo #teens! While you're out there gettin rad remember that your death is 100% inevitable & all life is meaningless, bae.✌

(12-12-2016, 01:05 AM)CoffeeGrunt Wrote: Probably because overthrowing gender disparity isn't in the remit of a webcomic

I'm aware. However, I do think a webcomic is certainly capable of not enforcing gender disparity. Just because something is designed to be easily digestible doesn't mean it's excusable for it to promote harmful behavior or mentalities.

(12-12-2016, 01:05 AM)CoffeeGrunt Wrote: not everything needs to be so politicised and nor should it be forced to.

The comic specifically addresses gender norms and sexuality. Is it a crime to discuss the comic's content?

(12-12-2016, 01:05 AM)CoffeeGrunt Wrote: Especially when discussing the production of simple comics intended for immediate consumption and little more.

You're using the same logic as people use to discourage analysis of children's cartoons.

(12-12-2016, 01:05 AM)CoffeeGrunt Wrote: Not everything is a conspiracy against some group or other.

(12-11-2016, 03:46 AM)Nefari Wrote: i don't think the creator is deliberate or thinks men are inferior.

(12-12-2016, 01:05 AM)CoffeeGrunt Wrote: If she made the effort to give fair parlance to the trials and tribulations of growing up male or female, then transgender people would be left out. If they expanded to cover them, then nonbinary people or genderfluid people would be saying that it's only enforcing the gender binary and want more representation.

No? I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for coverage of 99% of the world's population. I don't think it's reprehensible to neglect the remaining 1%. Besides, the comic is already failing to address trans or nonbinary people, so couldn't you make that argument now?

(12-12-2016, 01:05 AM)CoffeeGrunt Wrote: Everything is formulaic and manipulative towards some agenda to some degree. Everything is political.

I mean, give me an example of a piece of media that doesn't have a level of manipulation or an underlying agenda to it.

"Everyone does it, therefore it's okay."

There is nothing wrong with taking issue with manipulation, no matter how common it is.
[Image: Eg3lWTv.png][Image: tumblr_mcy2clswjj1qesb9j_by_homestuck__f...699rlh.png]
not a ship
I prefer HaaH a lot more. HaaH has the same general style, yet it feels more inclusive and doesn't just talk about society and shit. It talks about most everything it can.

7 Games to Play with a Brick? Why not.

The God of Cake? Fuck yes.

Dogs Don't Understand Simple Concepts Like Moving? Alright!

And it's not just funny, it feels that a real person wrote it and came up with ways to make real stories funnier and better. Not generally bullshit that feels pandering.

I've read about 25 stories of HaaH and all of them have made me laugh.

I haven't seen 10 of these damn things in the Google search and none of them have made me chuckle.
If Romance Academy 7 and Fight Fighters are video games that means there are multiple copies with multiple Rumbles and Giffanies

[Image: giffany_button_by_sparrowag17-d9k3kov.png]

Memes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhD7rdK7rJA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njbsOLFL3vs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG_JV5gU1LY
(12-12-2016, 01:40 AM)Nefari Wrote: I'm aware. However, I do think a webcomic is certainly capable of not enforcing gender disparity. Just because something is designed to be easily digestible doesn't mean it's excusable for it to promote harmful behavior or mentalities.

What "harmful behaviour?" That's the part I find most bizarre about your viewpoint. You're arguing in defense of a group who seemingly don't exist. I mean, what men are being oppressed or otherwise neglected due to this comic?

(12-11-2016, 03:46 AM)Nefari Wrote: No? I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for coverage of 99% of the world's population. I don't think it's reprehensible to neglect the remaining 1%. Besides, the comic is already failing to address trans or nonbinary people, so couldn't you make that argument now?

Yes you could make that argument now, because it's not its remit, and other comics do a far better job because they're often written by people with personal experience of the matter.

In the same way men get accused of "mansplaining" when discussing women's issues, a woman discussing male issues would be speaking from a point of no personal experience, an outside viewpoint. Ergo it ultimately wouldn't leave anyone feeling any happier about the piece of media.

To turn this back to you: what specifically-male issues of puberty do you want to see her address?

(12-11-2016, 03:46 AM)Nefari Wrote: There is nothing wrong with taking issue with manipulation, no matter how common it is.

My point wasn't that it was commonplace. My point is that if you try hard enough and dig deep enough, everything can seem like it's against you. It's a spire to madness.

Which is why my point about how not everything is a conspiracy and how everything can be perceived to have an agenda are not opposing views. You can see plenty of evidence of that online if you simply look up reviews for any piece of media.

For example, despite Disney making every effort to make Moana a show that celebrates Polynesian culture, there are people who believe it's an insult to it. They're correct insofar as any analysis of a subjective medium can be: simultaneously completely and not at all.

I'm coming at this from a pragmatic point of view. The main problem I have with SJ politics is that it's all about complaining about media without offering any suggestions other than, "put more minorities in it." Making Captain America black or Superman gay doesn't help bring the stories of troubled, oppressed minorities to life. They made Stonewall into a movie, but erased the transwomen of colour who started the riot for their freedom and made the protagonist a bicurious, white male.

So ultimately, my suggestion would be to find a comic that supports what you want to see, and promote it in Sarah's Scribbles stead. Fight your corner, promote what you want to see, and get the masses on your side.

Then you'll be able to overthrow Sarah Anderson's cruel oppression of the male masses and liberate them with jokes about awkward boners, wet dreams and smelling funny as a teenager.
[Image: a8wTLcn.png]
GRAPPLING HOOK!
(12-12-2016, 02:08 AM)CoffeeGrunt Wrote: what men are being oppressed or otherwise neglected due to this comic?

(12-12-2016, 02:08 AM)CoffeeGrunt Wrote: Then you'll be able to overthrow Sarah Anderson's cruel oppression of the male masses and liberate them with jokes about awkward boners, wet dreams and smelling funny as a teenager.

(12-12-2016, 02:08 AM)CoffeeGrunt Wrote: To turn this back to you: what specifically-male issues of puberty do you want to see her address?

I'm NOT saying men are being oppressed. I'm NOT saying she's setting out to oppress men. I'm NOT saying there's anything wrong with only appealing to female audiences.

Like I said--it is NOT about who has it harder. Like I said--I simply don't think it's fair or right for her to make a comic like this which mocks and dismisses other people. It is NOT about who has it harder, it's about being respectful to other people. It's about not being a self-congratulatory douchebag because you happen to have periods, and it's about not making the assumption that you have it worse than everyone else.

(12-12-2016, 02:08 AM)CoffeeGrunt Wrote: My point wasn't that it was commonplace. My point is that if you try hard enough and dig deep enough, everything can seem like it's against you. It's a spire to madness.

Dude, I know it's not a conspiracy set out to oppress men. I know it's commonplace, my point is that it's still an issue, and that it shouldn't be excused just because it's not in your face.

(12-12-2016, 02:08 AM)CoffeeGrunt Wrote: So ultimately, my suggestion would be to find a comic that supports what you want to see, and promote it in Sarah's Scribbles stead.

(12-11-2016, 03:46 AM)Nefari Wrote: for better execution of similar ideas, i would suggest taking a look at Hyperbole and a Half, an illustrated blog by someone who is genuinely likable and sincere with her audience. Allie, the writer of HaaH, feels like a real person. her posts related to mental health are unabashedly personal, as opposed to the generic, half-assed "DAE anxiety?!?!??!" garbage you'd find on Sarah's Scribbles. she appeals to the same sort of awkward, random quirkiness as SS, but does so in a way that is specific to her and not built to be relatable to literally everyone who reads them.
not a ship
[Image: ?u=http%3A%2F%2Ffanpage.gr%2Fpics%2F2015...05.jpg&f=1]

Can someone explain the joke? I don't get it.
Made by FunnyFany
[Image: latest?cb=20150502165211]
[Image: donkey_kong_fan_button__updated__by_requ...5h4w0c.png]
DK is coming to steal your bananas. And kick some ass. And steal more bananas.
i like how 3 of the 5 panels are the exact same thing

also there is no joke, it's just "relatable"
Yo #teens! While you're out there gettin rad remember that your death is 100% inevitable & all life is meaningless, bae.✌

^and the last 2 panels keep the same image from the first 3, while adding in two near identical images. the pinnacle of laziness.
not a ship