Dress Code Thread
Here's a thread for complaining about school dress codes.

Let me start: My school doesn't enforce it at all. I know a girl who doesn't wear any sleeves, sometimes her pants don't even reach where a normal person's ELBOW would be, and her shirts are usually transparent.

She's never been dress coded.
If Romance Academy 7 and Fight Fighters are video games that means there are multiple copies with multiple Rumbles and Giffanies

[Image: giffany_button_by_sparrowag17-d9k3kov.png]

Memes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhD7rdK7rJA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njbsOLFL3vs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG_JV5gU1LY
(12-07-2016, 03:19 PM)Nefari Wrote: Aside from shoulder exposures, those sound reasonable to me. And a male would be punished for wearing too much makeup, or coloring his hair, or for wearing shorts that are too short, or exposing his shoulders. Those rules do not apply exclusively to women. It just so happens that men tend to not break them.
This is probably because of social norms and how strictly a male would be shamed for wearing makeup or short shorts; I would argue that men have it worse because of that. They do not even have the option.

They sound reasonable to you, but that doesn't mean they're A, inherently-reasonable, or B, reasonable to everyone.

Though I agree that the generally more-limited variation in male clothing means that men simply don't have the scope to break dress codes as much.

(12-07-2016, 03:19 PM)Nefari Wrote: You can apply this to both sides of the argument.

Yes, but only one side is being told to dress differently because of how it affects the other.

(12-07-2016, 03:19 PM)Nefari Wrote: Sexual attraction applies to everyone, though. How would you propose we learn to "get over" it? I don't think dressing sexually should be normalized in a workplace. I think it's that simple. We shouldn't need to learn to get over natural distractions. If it's inherently distracting, it doesn't belong in a productive environment.

I propose people get over it by growing up, as it's an important aspect of growing up. Laura from Accounts is pretty hot, but that doesn't mean the guys spend all day eyeballing her and catcalling.

By starting to teach guys in school to respect women, it'll set them up much better for the workplace. If a man can be distracted by a short skirt, they're not going to be a very productive worker.

Also it really depends on what you consider, "dressing sexually." Where do you draw that line? Skirt above the knee? Exposed shoulders? What if it's summer? I mean, do we adopt the Sharia approach to female attire? Where is the line drawn?

(12-07-2016, 03:19 PM)Nefari Wrote: Re: gay people: the dress code should apply to everyone, regardless of sexuality. I don't really see your point here.

You misread it. My point was whether men should be told to adhere to dress codes because gay people might be distracted by it. The sexuality is relevant because if you're a guy attracted to guys, that kinda makes you gay or bi by definition.

It's not something that applies to straight people, because they wouldn't be distracted by an attractive man...most of the time, at least.

(12-07-2016, 03:19 PM)Nefari Wrote: The issue isn't with dress codes, it's with societal norms, which dress codes are molded to fit. IMO if men had the option to dress differently, most of any sexualization would even itself out. But men don't wear revealing clothes because most of society doesn't let them. It's not the dress code.

Social norms inform the dress codes, and the dress codes inform the social norms. Both are part of a cycle that maintains a cultural status quo.
[Image: a8wTLcn.png]
GRAPPLING HOOK!
There, edited it.
If Romance Academy 7 and Fight Fighters are video games that means there are multiple copies with multiple Rumbles and Giffanies

Memes:

We didn't have a dress code until the last year, because our great Principal left...so all my metal t-shirts were out the door for me to wear :/ Church of the Antichrist Superstar or bust :p

In college, no one cares. We all shuffle around like zombies anyways. This one dude literally walked into my class with his gut hanging under out from under his shirt the other day. Another girl was showing so much skin, you'd think she was ready for the beach lol
[Image: eM0FPqU.gif]
Hated mine when I was in school

A Polo Shirt and fucking slacks

I prefer my white trash wardrobe of a t shirt and jeans
[Image: Pete+Dunne+Bitter+End+to+Roy+Johnson.gif]
I remember hating having to wear a skirt or dress. They were pretty but you couldn't play on the bar without showing off your knickers.
[Image: 101860422_stidenterprise3.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co5_400.gif]
(12-07-2016, 03:55 PM)CoffeeGrunt Wrote: They sound reasonable to you, but that doesn't mean they're A, inherently-reasonable, or B, reasonable to everyone.

Alright, but how are they unreasonable?

(12-07-2016, 03:55 PM)CoffeeGrunt Wrote: Yes, but only one side is being told to dress differently because of how it affects the other.

That's... dumb. I don't know how else to put it, sorry. People affect each other, and people need to be considerate of how they affect one another. You can't just tell one side that it's perfectly okay to do whatever they want. The same way it's disrespectful for me to yell indoors or wear exclusively reflective neon clothing. I'm not directing affecting anyone, sure, but will I be distracting? Yes--and it will be my fault.

(12-07-2016, 03:55 PM)CoffeeGrunt Wrote: I propose people get over it by growing up, as it's an important aspect of growing up. Laura from Accounts is pretty hot, but that doesn't mean the guys spend all day eyeballing her and catcalling.

Okay, and learning how to dress as part of the work environment is also an important part of growing up. Learning to get over yourself and take responsibility for how your actions affect others is a part of growing up.

(12-07-2016, 03:55 PM)CoffeeGrunt Wrote: By starting to teach guys in school to respect women, it'll set them up much better for the workplace.

Dangerously close to the "teach men not to rape" narrative, which is bad because it:
A.) Teaches that every man will naturally disrespect a woman unless explicitly told otherwise.
B.) Fails to teach girls to act in ways that will minimize their risk from sexual predation.
C.) Fails to address and erases female perpetrators.
D.) Assumes that sexual predators will change their behavior simply by learning that it is socially unacceptable.
E.) Blames all men for sexual predation.
F.) Enforces paranoia and disdain of men in women.

(12-07-2016, 03:55 PM)CoffeeGrunt Wrote: Also it really depends on what you consider, "dressing sexually." Where do you draw that line? Skirt above the knee? Exposed shoulders? What if it's summer? I mean, do we adopt the Sharia approach to female attire? Where is the line drawn?

I'd define "dressing sexually" as "dressing in a way that exposes or draws attention to erogenous zones". However, there are other ways to dress disruptively that are not sexual.

(12-07-2016, 03:55 PM)CoffeeGrunt Wrote: My point was whether men should be told to adhere to dress codes because gay people might be distracted by it. The sexuality is relevant because if you're a guy attracted to guys, that kinda makes you gay or bi by definition.

It's not something that applies to straight people, because they wouldn't be distracted by an attractive man...most of the time, at least.

Yeah, I still don't understand how it's relevant, or any different from straight women looking at guys at work. Men still have fewer options to dress provocatively--and high school boys are still ogled by high school girls.

(12-07-2016, 03:55 PM)CoffeeGrunt Wrote: Social norms inform the dress codes, and the dress codes inform the social norms. Both are part of a cycle that maintains a cultural status quo.

yeah true
[Image: Eg3lWTv.png][Image: tumblr_mcy2clswjj1qesb9j_by_homestuck__f...699rlh.png]
not a ship
my school has a dress code that is broken on a fundamental level because the rule is "do not wear things that are sexual and/or violent"

That's it

That's the main fucking rule

Memes:

Can't reply to your comment in detail Nef as I'm on mobile. Just gunna note that everything you're starting as objective fact is subjective opinion subject to change.
[Image: a8wTLcn.png]
GRAPPLING HOOK!
Your posts are exempt from subjectivity, then?
[Image: Eg3lWTv.png][Image: tumblr_mcy2clswjj1qesb9j_by_homestuck__f...699rlh.png]
not a ship