Clean up the navigation menu
Currently, the navigation menu has 8 buttons: Portal, Forum, Search, Gallery, Calendar, Chat, Member List, and Help.

That's definitely not too many, but the problem is that a lot of them are unused. So it might be more efficient to get rid of a few, specifically:

Forum: The forum is the homepage, and can be accessed by clicking on the site's banner. Having a link to it in the navigation menu is unnecessary.
>>keep forum button.

Portal: Does anyone use this? It has potential to be useful, but I don't think it's something that many people use often. Still, because it's a handy feature to have around, this is the one I'm most hesitant about seeing removed.
>>keep Portal button. Possibly add new posts indicator?

Gallery: Unused, and unnecessary because of the Mabel's Creativity Corner section. Also, permissions currently are set so that people aren't allowed to upload.

Calendar: Unused, and overall kind of purposeless.
>>Encourage more frequent usage of calendar, especially for Discord and Cytube events.

+Shoutbox: possibly add button to shoutbox in nav menu?

+Theme selector: Add method to easily switch between themes either in the nav menu or at the bottom of the page.
[Image: Eg3lWTv.png][Image: tumblr_mcy2clswjj1qesb9j_by_homestuck__f...699rlh.png]
not a ship
3/4 of these are "could be useful" situations, imo. the calendar could be more useful if more than just birthdays were on it. the portal could be more useful if it had a little marker next to the button to show when a new post is in it, and didn't just put any post from the forum it takes its posts from, instead only from mods/admins, and also had a better name of course. the gallery, while again could be useful, just isn't used enough to keep.

if these buttons are all to be removed, then the small "shoutbox" button on the side should be put on the green bar along with the others, too.
Yo #teens! While you're out there gettin rad remember that your death is 100% inevitable & all life is meaningless, bae.✌

(12-14-2016, 03:03 AM)ICouldntThinkOfAName Wrote: the calendar could be more useful if more than just birthdays were on it.

What would go on the calendar? Forum updates? Nah, those aren't frequent enough. Holidays? No, everyone already knows when they are. Unless special forum events become a thing, I don't see the point in having a calendar. I just can't think of any event significant enough to be put there.
If it was removed, today's birthdays would still appear at the bottom of the page, and everyone would still be able to list their birthday in their profile.

(12-14-2016, 03:03 AM)ICouldntThinkOfAName Wrote: the portal could be more useful if it had a little marker next to the button to show when a new post is in it

You mean like the New Posts icon that we see in every forum?

(12-14-2016, 03:03 AM)ICouldntThinkOfAName Wrote: , and didn't just put any post from the forum it takes its posts from, instead only from mods/admins

I'm not sure that there's a way to do that without only allowing mods/admins to create topics in the Announcements section. Personally, I'd support this, since I think Announcements should be reserved for more 'official' updates. But I can see the use in allowing all members to post there too.

(12-14-2016, 03:03 AM)ICouldntThinkOfAName Wrote: if these buttons are all to be removed, then the small "shoutbox" button on the side should be put on the green bar along with the others, too.

My only concern with that is that it could be confusing to have it alongside the Chat button.
[Image: Eg3lWTv.png][Image: tumblr_mcy2clswjj1qesb9j_by_homestuck__f...699rlh.png]
not a ship
I think this is going a bit too far. Certain things need to be updated sure but removing some of these???

(12-14-2016, 02:50 AM)Nefari Wrote: Forum: The forum is the homepage, and can be accessed by clicking on the site's banner. Having a link to it in the navigation menu is unnecessary.

I highly disagree, that's exactly what I use. It's the menu bar, you need to have the forum link there. Just because there are other ways to get there doesn't mean you should remove it. Go on a webcomic and you'll find there are two ways to click to go to the next page no? That's because of user preferences and while it's a lot easier to click the banner it's not immediately obvious. That's what the menu bar is for. It's right there and the first thing you see 8/

(12-14-2016, 02:50 AM)Nefari Wrote: Portal: Does anyone use this? It has potential to be useful, but I don't think it's something that many people use often. Still, because it's a handy feature to have around, this is the one I'm most hesitant about seeing removed.

... I use it ALL the time to the point I hardly ever see the main forum section and I don't know how else you' get there other than the menu bar. It's the best, quickest way to see what's going on that I know of.

(12-14-2016, 03:03 AM)ICouldntThinkOfAName Wrote: the portal could be more useful if it had a little marker next to the button to show when a new post is in it, and didn't just put any post from the forum it takes its posts from, instead only from mods/admins, and also had a better name of course.

Oh please no >_< I don't know why granted but that sounds obnoxious. The posts there are from the announcement thread and that to me makes sense (also I remember having normal users make posts was useful back when daJoschi wanted to advertise the synchtube and discord, he just asked first and that was pretty straight forward) and the name is perfectly fine to me, don't know what better thing you could change it to but if you think of something, sure.

(12-14-2016, 03:11 AM)Nefari Wrote: You mean like the New Posts icon that we see in every forum?

Here might be the reason why so gonna ask you guys for an example of this later. Currently I'm thinking of something like on discord or tumblr where it's big red and annoying.

(12-14-2016, 02:50 AM)Nefari Wrote: Gallery: Unused, and unnecessary because of the Mabel's Creativity Corner section. Also, permissions currently are set so that people aren't allowed to upload.

Now this I find interesting. I completely forgot this was here. I would not mind this being removed because you're right it's as dead as a Norwegian Blue but I think it would be even better if it was brought back as I remember I was really excited then disappointed when I first came here to see it. Again because of the creative section, I do not mind because it really is redundant. The only purpose it could ever have is to feature things.

(12-14-2016, 02:50 AM)Nefari Wrote: Calendar: Unused, and overall kind of purposeless.

(12-14-2016, 03:11 AM)Nefari Wrote:
(12-14-2016, 03:03 AM)ICouldntThinkOfAName Wrote: the calendar could be more useful if more than just birthdays were on it.

What would go on the calendar? Forum updates? Nah, those aren't frequent enough. Holidays? No, everyone already knows when they are. Unless special forum events become a thing, I don't see the point in having a calendar. I just can't think of any event significant enough to be put there.
If it was removed, today's birthdays would still appear at the bottom of the page, and everyone would still be able to list their birthday in their profile.

It's underused yes but wouldn't say useless. It's how I check peoples birthdays (because I use the portal I often forget it's there on the main page) and maybe I would want to find them in advance in terms of days of the month (cause I've done that plenty...)

(12-14-2016, 03:11 AM)Nefari Wrote:
(12-14-2016, 03:03 AM)ICouldntThinkOfAName Wrote: if these buttons are all to be removed, then the small "shoutbox" button on the side should be put on the green bar along with the others, too.

My only concern with that is that it could be confusing to have it alongside the Chat button.

Both points are very good here. I'd side with putting it on the menubar but I'd like to ask a potentially stupid question: would that make it accessible for non-users? Currently those two points of access vanish when you're logged off.

So I'd like to end with again pointing out just because there are other ways of accessing something doesn't mean you should remove the biggest and most obvious means of navigating.

Oh yeah and before I forget want to check and clarify: access for all the modes (eg:nightmode) you want are probably going to go on the menu bar yes?
[Image: 101860422_stidenterprise3.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co5_400.gif]
(12-14-2016, 12:02 PM)Baron Claus Wrote: I think this is going a bit too far. Certain things need to be updated sure but removing some of these???

Nah this isn't actually stuff that would be done next update, just wanted to bring it up in case enough people agreed. Definitely none of it happens unless people are on board with it. And I do think removing half of the buttons will make the nav bar look super empty so there is the downside of that.

Re:Forum: ok, either way is fine with me. If people find things useful then they should stay.

Re:Portal: okay. I didn't know that anyone used it which is the only reason I thought of talking about removing it. I agree it is a useful feature but I wasn't aware that it was a used one.
Adding a new posts indicator to the Portal would be difficult, anyway, so. It sounds obnoxious to me as well, and would be inconsistent to have an indicator for the Portal and none of the other menu buttons.
The New Posts icon i was referring to was just the 6-fingered hand icon we see next to the name of every forum. For the actual Portal button I was imagining it would be a small little dot, like what we see for the subforums--it would be gray when read and blue for new posts. That's only what I was imagining, though, I'm not sure what iCTOAN had in mind.

Re:Calendar: I was talking to ICTOAN on the calendar earlier and he actually brought up people would be able to post Discord and Cytube events on it, like for movies and book readings and such. This would actually be a very great use for it IMO.

Re:Shoutbox/Chat: Well, currently the way it's set up is so that the shoutbox button is in a place that is only visible to people who are logged in. Even if we linked the shoutbox to guests, they would not be able to access it. So a shoutbox link in the nav menu would just be a dead link to them. It is possible to make the link only visible to logged in members, but it would take extra configuration.

Re:Nightmode Access: Well, the easiest way to set it up would be to put it at the bottom of the page, something like this:
[Image: GGh4yr.png]

If I put a link to it in the nav menu then it would look a little awkward having a dropdown menu next to all the regular text. Alternatively it could just be a link to the settings page where you would select a skin, but then the button would have to be called "Options" or "Settings" or something so that it wasn't overspecific.
not a ship
Re Portal, yeah not sure we'd need that notification indicator, still sounds annoying to me since it'd look out of place and you'd have to look at each new page for it to go away. I suspected it would be difficult as well.

Re Calendar: Excellent idea!

Re Shoutbox: That's what I thought. tbh it sounds fiddly and maybe best to leave it alone for now.

Re Nightmode: Ahh, yeah that would make sense. I think I like the sound of it being on the menu bar as it's more noticeable there but would like to see others opinions.
[Image: 101860422_stidenterprise3.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co5_400.gif]
The Gallery section is pretty much pointless at this point, yeah.
“Ends are not bad things, they just mean that something else is about to begin. And there are many things that don't really end, anyway, they just begin again in a new way. Ends are not bad and many ends aren't really an ending; some things are never-ending.” ― C. JoyBell C.
[Image: Sig.gif]