Something I Noticed About 2012 Gravity Falls Marketing
While I didn't become a huge GF fan until mid 2013, I've gone back and looked at 2012 interviews, panels, tweets from cast and crew, and behind the scenes videos talking about the show and I noticed something. Out of the 3 main GF voice actors, only 2 of them promoted the show in 2012. Alex Hirsch and Jason Ritter. I can't find any 2012 interviews with Kristen Schaal talking about GF. She didn't promote it until 2013. I know she's the most busy of the GF trio, but I do find it kind of odd that she didn't promote the show until 2013.

What do you think?
[Image: mabel_pines_fan_button_by_requestbuttons-d5j5abu.png]
HOLY SHIT HE'S BACK!

Hey man, how've you been? Sorry gotta get that out...

Uhh, dunno. I've got a very poor sense of how these sorts of things work. Could've been life biz, could've been other work biz going on at the time?
[Image: 101860422_stidenterprise3.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co5_400.gif]
(12-15-2016, 06:54 PM)Baron Claus Wrote: HOLY SHIT HE'S BACK!

Hey man, how've you been? Sorry gotta get that out...

Uhh, dunno. I've got a very poor sense of how these sorts of things work. Could've been life biz, could've been other work biz going on at the time?

Been doing good. Trying to get more into films.

Thanks for asking.

I've thought about that too, but I still would find it odd how she could promote it later while she's getting more work.
(make a come back thread or talk in the chit chat/counting thread man, got questions...)

Maybe she didn't connect with the project until a lot later? Or wasn't hired to?
[Image: 101860422_stidenterprise3.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co5_400.gif]
Holy crud, welcome back, bro! As you can see, a lot has changed around here.

And mmm, not sure on that front. You tried searching on YouTube?
“Ends are not bad things, they just mean that something else is about to begin. And there are many things that don't really end, anyway, they just begin again in a new way. Ends are not bad and many ends aren't really an ending; some things are never-ending.” ― C. JoyBell C.
[Image: Sig.gif]
(12-15-2016, 07:00 PM)Baron Claus Wrote: (make a come back thread or talk in the chit chat/counting thread man, got questions...)

Maybe she didn't connect with the project until a lot later? Or wasn't hired to?

True. Maybe that is the case. It took me awhile to connect with the show too.

Sure. Why not.
Typically actors and actresses are under contract not just for their performances, but also for promotional campaigns, especially if it is a major studio release that's looking for commercial success. Being busy on another film or not being in the mood typically aren't acceptable reasons to skip promotional duties if someone is under contract, because that's part of the job.

If initially only Jason Ritter and Alex Hirsch were promoting the series but Kristen Schaal wasn't, then I'm positing that either she had a major life crisis (for example an extended hospitalization that rendered her physically incapable of being interviewed) or Disney intentionally did not place her on promotional duty. As seen with the interviews with Ritter & Hirsch, Disney had enough riding on their latest television production to run a full marketing campaign, so for Schaal to skip out on that despite being under contract, she'd either need an extremely good reason, or have been purposely excluded by Disney.

In regards to the latter, I can think of a litany of reasons that mostly revolve around the widespread sexism that plagues entertainment marketing (especially in Hollywood), but I'll have to look into this further before jumping to any conclusions.
Interesting theories.
(12-15-2016, 07:00 PM)Saint Dipmas Wrote: Holy crud, welcome back, bro! As you can see, a lot has changed around here.

And mmm, not sure on that front. You tried searching on YouTube?

Thanks .

I've searched on Youtube for the past 3 years. Nothing.

The only thing I saw from 2012 with Schaal promoting GF was a tweet.
Well, Disney has not hesitated to make it clear that Gravity Falls' primary target demographic is pre-teen boys. Therefore I wouldn't be surprised if Schaal was intentionally left out of the marketing near the beginning, when Disney was still unsure of the reception the series would receive and decided to go with conventional tactics.

However, when most of the critics singled Schaal out as the biggest star of the show, when she won an Annie Award for her performance, and when it became clear that Gravity Falls' actual audience was a lot more inclusive than its target audience, it probably made more sense for them to include her in future promotional materials.

I unfortunately probably won't be able to prove my hypothesis because Disney likely doesn't want to explicitly admit they have a serious sexism problem plaguing their marketing department. And not just for Gravity Falls too — Big Hero 6 and Guardians of the Galaxy were both embroiled in controversy most recently. But there really isn't any alternative explanation in my mind, if Disney had Schaal under contract, as they always do with any of their voice actors.