Will Mabel change sweaters ever again?
((Here's my first post! I hope you enjoy it~))

Ever since the gang build the Shacktron during the finale, Mabel went back to her shooting star sweater, which is the one that I like. But, I also miss her other sweaters as well, even though most of them were turned into parachutes. So, here's my question, Are we EVER going to see Mabel change into different sweaters every day, or is she going to stick with her shooting star one, since the series' over?
I like to imagine the best of both. As I've mentioned before to me the fact she reverts back to her standard sweater represents a knew found sense of security and self-assuredness in Mabel but this is still Mabel, I can't imagine she'd ever be happy wearing the same thing like Dipper and those hundred sweaters and mad knitting skills don't just vanish. So I like to think she tones down the obsessive need for a new sweater every day just switching it up occasionally.
[Image: 101860422_stidenterprise3.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co5_400.gif]
(12-17-2016, 11:28 PM)Baron Claus Wrote: I like to imagine the best of both. As I've mentioned before to me the fact she reverts back to her standard sweater represents a knew found sense of security and self-assuredness in Mabel but this is still Mabel, I can't imagine she'd ever be happy wearing the same thing like Dipper and those hundred sweaters and mad knitting skills don't just vanish. So I like to think she tones down the obsessive need for a new sweater every day just switching it up occasionally.
Ah, I see, but it's still sad to say that she's toning it down for now on CryingBecause, it was her personality to do it.
(12-18-2016, 05:39 AM)MysteryMan618 Wrote: Ah, I see, but it's still sad to say that she's toning it down for now on CryingBecause, it was her personality to do it.

I think that rather nicely speaks to the toning down of childhood in general. The series posits that growing up can be sad when you're letting go of your childhood, but this doesn't mean you need to change who you are. Mabel toning down her sweaters, but still maintaining them to a degree, fits well with this message.

On the bright side though, this opens the door to Mabel trying new things — and if you subscribe to Alex Hirsch & Dana Terrace's interpretation of teen Mabel, then it looks like she turns to a more gothic look when she grows older.
(12-18-2016, 05:39 AM)MysteryMan618 Wrote: Ah, I see, but it's still sad to say that she's toning it down for now on CryingBecause, it was her personality to do it.

I dunno, Alex said Mabel would have to be working on a new sweater every off-screen moment. I still maintain that people don't throw themselves into that level of obsession unless over something like that unless something's not quite right. Might as well link my post here.

And she'll put that energy into other new, creative things, of course, even radically different things like a goth phase :P
[Image: 101860422_stidenterprise3.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co5_400.gif]
(12-18-2016, 01:47 PM)Baron Claus Wrote: I dunno, Alex said Mabel would have to be working on a new sweater every off-screen moment. I still maintain that people don't throw themselves into that level of obsession unless over something like that unless something's not quite right. Might as well link my post here.

And she'll put that energy into other new, creative things, of course, even radically different things like a goth phase :P

What do you mean by something's not quite right? Isn't her obsession with sweaters simply a reflection of her expressive personality, colorful imagination and artistic aptitude?

With Hirsch's comments, I think it's important to just keep in mind that because this is animation, we have room for exaggeration, so his words needn't be taken too literally. Mabel does have to do things like go to the bathroom, eat and sleep during off-screen moments as well, after all. I think the implication is that she spends every available moment making sweaters, but this does not impede her ability to engage in everyday life functions like eating, sleeping, etc.
(12-18-2016, 04:49 PM)ReptilePatrol Wrote: What do you mean by something's not quite right? Isn't her obsession with sweaters simply a reflection of her expressive personality, colorful imagination and artistic aptitude?

I think Baron covered this pretty well in the post that she linked to:

(02-28-2016, 11:46 AM)Baron Claus Wrote: But it's not just simply the fact she's creative and full of energy. As Alex Hirsch put it, in order to keep up Mabel is working on a new sweater design every off-screen moment. This sounds like something bordering on an obsession but it makes sense when you realise a good portion of those sweaters are for special occasions, moments or what she's currently thinking about. Because another HUGE part of Mabel's character is her unwillingness to let go of her past, her childhood and how aware she is of time slipping away.

Even if it's not impeding her ability to eat/sleep/etc., making sweaters is still taking up the majority of Mabel's time, and taking away from her ability to do other recreational things. "She can still eat/breathe/sleep/etc" isn't really a compelling argument for "this is a healthy behavior that does not interfere with her life".
[Image: Eg3lWTv.png][Image: tumblr_mcy2clswjj1qesb9j_by_homestuck__f...699rlh.png]
not a ship
Alex's comment was pretty clearly a joke. Of course Mabel does a ton of other stuff, just look at her Mabel's Guide to Life show.
oh funk gotta dronk my honk
your face is pretty clearly a joke
[Image: Eg3lWTv.png][Image: tumblr_mcy2clswjj1qesb9j_by_homestuck__f...699rlh.png]
not a ship
(12-18-2016, 06:46 PM)Nefari Wrote:
(12-18-2016, 04:49 PM)ReptilePatrol Wrote: What do you mean by something's not quite right? Isn't her obsession with sweaters simply a reflection of her expressive personality, colorful imagination and artistic aptitude?

I think Baron covered this pretty well in the post that she linked to:

(02-28-2016, 11:46 AM)Baron Claus Wrote: But it's not just simply the fact she's creative and full of energy. As Alex Hirsch put it, in order to keep up Mabel is working on a new sweater design every off-screen moment. This sounds like something bordering on an obsession but it makes sense when you realise a good portion of those sweaters are for special occasions, moments or what she's currently thinking about. Because another HUGE part of Mabel's character is her unwillingness to let go of her past, her childhood and how aware she is of time slipping away.

Even if it's not impeding her ability to eat/sleep/etc., making sweaters is still taking up the majority of Mabel's time, and taking away from her ability to do other recreational things. "She can still eat/breathe/sleep/etc" isn't really a compelling argument for "this is a healthy behavior that does not interfere with her life".

Is the problematic part here the way her love of sweaters impedes her ability to do other recreational things, or the fact that it showcases her awareness of how time is slipping by?

She still does other recreational things without hindrance (adventures with Candy/Grenda, Waddles, scrapbooking, chasing her crushes, etc.); sweaters are only one of several of her strategies to live in the moment; and nothing negative is ever attributed to her sweaters. So I'm still a bit confused as to what's problematic here.