Will Mabel change sweaters ever again?
I thought I very clearly stated the latter. It's definitely something that is very much a part of Mabel's character and dilemma. I know Alex stated it as a joke, this was after all a comment and therefore out of the series but I still theorise this was something intentional.
[Image: 101860422_stidenterprise3.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co5_400.gif]
(12-19-2016, 02:42 AM)Baron Claus Wrote: I thought I very clearly stated the latter. It's definitely something that is very much a part of Mabel's character and dilemma. I know Alex stated it as a joke, this was after all a comment and therefore out of the series but I still theorise this was something intentional.

Ah I see now, thanks for clearing that up! I didn't realize you regarded Mabel's awareness of time slipping by as a problem — imo it highlights her emotional intelligence, but then again it also motivates her actions in D&MvTF and W2. Interesting thoughts though, and I'd be up for discussing it further.

I agree that it's definitely intentional that she's making sweaters whenever she can. Her artistic pursuits are frequently featured, and she explicitly does so in Land Before Swine, Soos and the Real Girl, and Weirdmageddon 3 — and that's just off the top of my head. I'd say Alex's statement is more of an exaggeration than a joke but that's rather ambiguous.

However, I always looked at the sweaters as her simply living in the moment. Her need to document special occasions, moments or whatever she's thinking about feels like it's motivated by joy rather than fear or sadness. In D&MvTF she's initially super excited to turn 13, end her summer, and start high school in a year; she only becomes scared of all three when Wendy refutes her fantasies and Dipper says he's leaving. This, her silliness, and her revolving door crushes shows how she lives in the moment and is very good at thinking about the present, in contrast to Dipper's very future-oriented thinking, whether it be his post-secondary plans, solving mysteries, or Wendy.

I'd definitely agree that Mabel is keenly aware of time slipping by though, but imo that's better documented in her scrapbooking — a physical way of preserving her childhood memories. Though perhaps sweaters are worked into this too, if she wants herself wearing particular sweaters in every photo of herself. But is this really a problem, per se? Her fear-motivated actions in D&MvTF and W2 are definitely problematic, but her Soos sweater in Soos and the Real Girl feels like an entirely different scenario. In fact, Alex Hirsch himself is doing what Mabel does, albeit slightly differently — preserving his own childhood in a TV show, and giving the character based on his sister all sorts of goofy sweaters.
(12-19-2016, 08:59 PM)ReptilePatrol Wrote:
(12-19-2016, 02:42 AM)Baron Claus Wrote: I thought I very clearly stated the latter. It's definitely something that is very much a part of Mabel's character and dilemma. I know Alex stated it as a joke, this was after all a comment and therefore out of the series but I still theorise this was something intentional.

Ah I see now, thanks for clearing that up! I didn't realize you regarded Mabel's awareness of time slipping by as a problem — imo it highlights her emotional intelligence, but then again it also motivates her actions in D&MvTF and W2. Interesting thoughts though, and I'd be up for discussing it further.

I agree that it's definitely intentional that she's making sweaters whenever she can. Her artistic pursuits are frequently featured, and she explicitly does so in Land Before Swine, Soos and the Real Girl, and Weirdmageddon 3 — and that's just off the top of my head. I'd say Alex's statement is more of an exaggeration than a joke but that's rather ambiguous.

However, I always looked at the sweaters as her simply living in the moment. Her need to document special occasions, moments or whatever she's thinking about feels like it's motivated by joy rather than fear or sadness. In D&MvTF she's initially super excited to turn 13, end her summer, and start high school in a year; she only becomes scared of all three when Wendy refutes her fantasies and Dipper says he's leaving. This, her silliness, and her revolving door crushes shows how she lives in the moment and is very good at thinking about the present, in contrast to Dipper's very future-oriented thinking, whether it be his post-secondary plans, solving mysteries, or Wendy.

I'd definitely agree that Mabel is keenly aware of time slipping by though, but imo that's better documented in her scrapbooking — a physical way of preserving her childhood memories. Though perhaps sweaters are worked into this too, if she wants herself wearing particular sweaters in every photo of herself. But is this really a problem, per se? Her fear-motivated actions in D&MvTF and W2 are definitely problematic, but her Soos sweater in Soos and the Real Girl feels like an entirely different scenario. In fact, Alex Hirsch himself is doing what Mabel does, albeit slightly differently — preserving his own childhood in a TV show, and giving the character based on his sister all sorts of goofy sweaters.

Then, how come she's wearing her shooting star one throughout the finale?
Your Math is no match for my gun, you Idiot!
[Image: 320?cb=20150805041959]
(12-20-2016, 06:38 AM)MysteryMan618 Wrote: Then, how come she's wearing her shooting star one throughout the finale?

Mabel actually switches between her birthday sweater and shooting star sweater throughout the finale — including between D&MvTF and W2, as well as the finale episode W3 itself.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong:
Mabel is wearing her birthday sweater at the end of D&MvTF/beginning of W1 when Bill locks her in the bubble.
However, when Dipper/Wendy/Soos find her in W2, she is wearing her shooting star sweater.
At the end of W2, the moment she breaks out of the bubble, her sweater changes back to the birthday sweater.
Finally, she's wearing the birthday sweater from the end of W2 through the beginning of W3, and changes to the shooting star sweater between the building-the-Shacktron montage, and the apocalypse sweaters scene (where everyone has a Mabel sweater).
After this, she has her shooting star sweater on until the very end.

In other words, she only wears her shooting star sweater inside the bubble, and in the second half of W3. Every other part of the last four episodes has her wearing the birthday sweater. The significance of this is open to interpretation, but it's definitely intentional that she wears her default sweater both inside the bubble and at the very end of the series.
Mabel's awareness of time slipping by is a fascinating trait and it does indeed showcase her extremely keen emotional intelligence but it becomes a problem when she's actively afraid of it and is fighting against the very idea. This is also linked to Dipper, she's keenly afraid of growing up and a major reason is because she knows Dipper pretty well and she knows she'll 'loose' him. She realises she can't actually do anything to stop that from happening so she throws herself into living the moment to the fullest (represented by the ever changing sweaters in my mind) and documenting everything (scrapbooking). So to me that's the significance of her returning to the default sweater: it's no longer an obsession for Mabel which is a good thing.
[Image: 101860422_stidenterprise3.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co5_400.gif]
Ah, now I understand, thank you for your information. ;)
Your Math is no match for my gun, you Idiot!
[Image: 320?cb=20150805041959]
No problemo, that0s my interpretation of the sweater anyway. I don't now if that was Alex's intention but there you go.