What's your guys' opinion on Mabel's selfishness?
(12-25-2016, 08:15 AM)AwesomeDude1 Wrote: That's not good writing though. Responding to haters.

What part of the writing in The Last Mabelcorn wasn't good though? I don't see anything wrong with responding to fan feedback — good artists use feedback and criticism to improve their work.
To be fair this ends up being pretty subjective based on what you consider morally right or good writing.

As far as Mabel, she's a character that screws up a lot, yes, but personally I didn't see her doing it any more than Dipper did and other than Weirdmageddon, to any greater degree. In one emotional instant she allowed Bill into the material world and yeah, pretty awful, but Bill is established as a master manipulator. He managed to turn a genius like Ford to his will, and we see during Weirdmageddon that he's still able to twist Ford to his needs by approaching his ego, (both when he manages to glean that hurting the kids would make Ford talk, and that Ford knew how to escape Gravity Falls but wouldn't talk.)

Mabel is a girl with her heart on her sleeve, so she'd be pretty easy to twist. We see Bill trick Dipper into handing over his body after Dipper summons him, but I rarely see anyone bring up the folly of summoning a daemon you know is evil and handing it your meatsuit. However Bill comes to Mabel in disguise as someone she knows who offers to help, and in one moment boom, it all goes sour.

You can pick over the minutiae of a character's actions much as you can any IRL person. People have made mistakes that in the moment were caused by a slight loss of attention but result in so many problems. You can't honestly tell me you've never honestly slipped up and caused a lot of damage in your life, whether you meant to or not.
[Image: a8wTLcn.png]
GRAPPLING HOOK!
(12-28-2016, 01:45 AM)CoffeeGrunt Wrote: To be fair this ends up being pretty subjective based on what you consider morally right or good writing.

As far as Mabel, she's a character that screws up a lot, yes, but personally I didn't see her doing it any more than Dipper did and other than Weirdmageddon, to any greater degree. In one emotional instant she allowed Bill into the material world and yeah, pretty awful, but Bill is established as a master manipulator. He managed to turn a genius like Ford to his will, and we see during Weirdmageddon that he's still able to twist Ford to his needs by approaching his ego, (both when he manages to glean that hurting the kids would make Ford talk, and that Ford knew how to escape Gravity Falls but wouldn't talk.)

Mabel is a girl with her heart on her sleeve, so she'd be pretty easy to twist. We see Bill trick Dipper into handing over his body after Dipper summons him, but I rarely see anyone bring up the folly of summoning a daemon you know is evil and handing it your meatsuit. However Bill comes to Mabel in disguise as someone she knows who offers to help, and in one moment boom, it all goes sour.

You can pick over the minutiae of a character's actions much as you can any IRL person. People have made mistakes that in the moment were caused by a slight loss of attention but result in so many problems. You can't honestly tell me you've never honestly slipped up and caused a lot of damage in your life, whether you meant to or not.

There's a difference between letting a demon possess you and accidentally causing the end of the world.
[Image: mabel_pines_fan_button_by_requestbuttons-d5j5abu.png]
No, both were unaware of the consequences and couldn't have foreseen what would happen. Neither should be blamed. Grunt is right, Dipper is the guiltier of the two in this specific comparison, as he outright summoned Bill, while Mabel didn't want anything to do with him.
[Image: Eg3lWTv.png][Image: tumblr_mcy2clswjj1qesb9j_by_homestuck__f...699rlh.png]
not a ship
(12-28-2016, 02:45 AM)Nefari Wrote: No, both were unaware of the consequences and couldn't have foreseen what would happen. Neither should be blamed. Grunt is right, Dipper is the guiltier of the two in this specific comparison, as he outright summoned Bill, while Mabel didn't want anything to do with him.

Even if Dipper didn't get mad, he should know that Mabel gave the rift to Bill.
So? She didn't know the importance of the rift, nor did she know that she was giving it to Bill.
[Image: Eg3lWTv.png][Image: tumblr_mcy2clswjj1qesb9j_by_homestuck__f...699rlh.png]
not a ship
(12-28-2016, 02:52 AM)Nefari Wrote: So? She didn't know the importance of the rift, nor did she know that she was giving it to Bill.

But Dipper said in Part 1 of the finale that he thought that the rift cracked in the backpack while Mabel was running. And I was disappointed that he didn't find out the truth and that he's going to assume this thing that isn't true. At least Mabel knew that Dipper made a deal with a demon.

And if Mabel told Dipper offscreen, that's a huge mistake. You can't have fans just assume that important stuff happens offscreen. That's lazy storytelling.
(12-28-2016, 03:00 AM)AwesomeDude1 Wrote: But Dipper said in Part 1 of the finale that he thought that the rift cracked in the backpack while Mabel was running. And I was disappointed that he didn't find out the truth and that he's going to assume this thing that isn't true. At least Mabel knew that Dipper made a deal with a demon.

And if Mabel told Dipper offscreen, that's a huge mistake. You can't have fans just assume that important stuff happens offscreen. That's lazy storytelling.

Why is it important that Dipper finds out the truth? How is that related to Mabel's morality? And why would you assume Mabel told Dipper offscreen?

In Sock Opera, Mabel doesn't know Dipper made a deal. Dipper only said that Bill tricked him.
Quite frankly now that I think of it, it was quite annoying. If it weren't for her, a lot of bad things might not have happened. It also doesn't make sense that, for a time, she was the only person other than Dipper to see all of the weird stuff going on in the town (excluding Stan). Dipper needed support and she was never really there for him until whatever bad thing that was happening affected her. I'm willing to bet that she would've ignored Dipper if he told her some creature had his soul or something. "Oh Dipper, you're always such a downer. Your soul's not gone, it's just being cranky like you are". Yup, I can definitely see her saying something like until of course her soul is taken. Only then would she jump into action.
I think she was a child and that you kinda have to give her a break

I'm wondering if anyone here isn't lazy enough to see if that developed through the series
i am NOT a swede;