What's your guys' opinion on Mabel's selfishness?
she's a child so we're going to hold her to the same standard as other children

if a child's being immature, you correct the behavior. if you let it pass without comment or consequence, it's going to continue
[Image: Eg3lWTv.png][Image: tumblr_mcy2clswjj1qesb9j_by_homestuck__f...699rlh.png]
not a ship
Are you guys serious? Since when do people hold cartoon characters up to the same standards as real children?
other children in the show
[Image: Eg3lWTv.png][Image: tumblr_mcy2clswjj1qesb9j_by_homestuck__f...699rlh.png]
not a ship
Holding Mabel up to the same standards as real children is a perfectly fine thing to do — she's based on a real child after all, and is meant to be relatable. But for this specific discussion, it's probably best to hold her up to the same standards as the other children/characters in the show.

And when held up to the same standards, Mabel is just as imperfect as everyone else. You can't apply a double standard and regard Dipper's goals as priority, which I feel like happens a bit too much. And the writers made their stance on the matter very clear in The Last Mabelcorn.

(12-31-2016, 09:20 AM)RobAlister Wrote: Quite frankly now that I think of it, it was quite annoying. If it weren't for her, a lot of bad things might not have happened. It also doesn't make sense that, for a time, she was the only person other than Dipper to see all of the weird stuff going on in the town (excluding Stan). Dipper needed support and she was never really there for him until whatever bad thing that was happening affected her. I'm willing to bet that she would've ignored Dipper if he told her some creature had his soul or something. "Oh Dipper, you're always such a downer. Your soul's not gone, it's just being cranky like you are". Yup, I can definitely see her saying something like until of course her soul is taken. Only then would she jump into action.

Replace "soul" with "body" in your example and we literally get Sock Opera, where Mabel quickly jumps into helping Dipper despite knowing that she'd be sacrificing her play. Other than that and The Time Traveler's Pig, where, again, Mabel very willingly helps her brother, what other example is there of Dipper needing Mabel's support?

I can't think of much, given that Dipper likes to be self sufficient, and Mabel is not a supporting character.
I think part of it might be wanting to hold on to childishness itself
i am NOT a swede;
can we just all agree that mabel, even if she is your favorite character of the show, was at least selfish to some level, even if she did have a reason to you
If Romance Academy 7 and Fight Fighters are video games that means there are multiple copies with multiple Rumbles and Giffanies

[Image: giffany_button_by_sparrowag17-d9k3kov.png]

Memes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhD7rdK7rJA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njbsOLFL3vs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG_JV5gU1LY
(01-01-2017, 09:51 PM)ReptilePatrol Wrote: And when held up to the same standards, Mabel is just as imperfect as everyone else. You can't apply a double standard and regard Dipper's goals as priority

I don't think that's what's happening, IMO it's closer to applying a double standard to Mabel.

Dipper's goals aren't a priority and that's been made abundantly clear by the constant placement of family over personal ambition/mystery throughout the show
not a ship
(01-01-2017, 10:34 PM)TanooKrampus Wrote: can we just all agree that mabel, even if she is your favorite character of the show, was at least selfish to some level, even if she did have a reason to you

i was not saying she wasn't
ur right
i am NOT a swede;
(01-01-2017, 10:34 PM)TanooKrampus Wrote: can we just all agree that mabel, even if she is your favorite character of the show, was at least selfish to some level, even if she did have a reason to you

Yes, but you could say that about every character, since all modern humans, due to biology and natural selection, are selfish to a degree.

My opinion is that while Mabel is indeed selfish to a degree, she isn't abnormally selfish, and isn't as selfish as some people have said.

(01-01-2017, 10:45 PM)Nefari Wrote: I don't think that's what's happening, IMO it's closer to applying a double standard to Mabel.

Dipper's goals aren't a priority and that's been made abundantly clear by the constant placement of family over personal ambition/mystery throughout the show

I meant that some people were saying Mabel was selfish because of how X thing she did affected Dipper/others, without much regard for how Dipper's actions affected Mabel, or without regard for equivalent actions Dipper did.

For example, Mabel has received the brunt of the criticism for the rift, because she's the one who was directly tricked by Bill. However, there's fewer, if any, criticism for Ford/Dipper putting the rift in the bag in the first place, or for Dipper being tricked by Bill in Sock Opera.
The problem is that Mabel didn't learn from her mistakes and no one gets that mad at her for them. I hope if Alex made a sequel series, that would be fixed.
[Image: mabel_pines_fan_button_by_requestbuttons-d5j5abu.png]