Poll: Which expansion theme would you prefer?
This poll is closed.
Steven Universe
20.00%
4 20.00%
Infinity Train
15.00%
3 15.00%
Star vs the Forces of Evil
20.00%
4 20.00%
General cartoon discussion
25.00%
5 25.00%
General creative sharing & discussion
20.00%
4 20.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Forum Expansion: beyond Gravity Falls (part2)
A less specific counterpart to this thread.

(01-10-2016, 07:20 PM)MysterySeeker Wrote: We all know the show is going to end in a little more than a month, which made us think "what is going to happen afterwards?". Sure, there would probably still be a lot of activity for the first few months, but after that, many people would start to leave the fandom, and the community here would become fairly inactive as well.

So, me and Floating Eyeball were talking, and came up with the idea to add another section to the forum, dedicated to Steven Universe. The reasons for that are the similar tone and age group that both the shows have, and that Steven Universe also has a very big mystery element. Additionally, there arent any real forums for Steven Universe fans out there, and since the show will go on for at least another year (most likely longer), it would be a big drawing point for fans who are looking for a place to discuss the episodes and their theories, which would stretch the life time of this forum a lot. Plus, many of the users of this forum already are Steven Universe fans.

The Gravity Falls part of the forum would obviously not deleted, right now we are just talking about adding another "box" on the main page, and possibly changing the banner and skin to reflect this addition. We have not discussed this plan with Feyrah, because we wanted to know what the userbase thinks of this idea. So, let your opinions be known, I am vey interested to see how many of you would be in favor of this change!

Well, it has been over a year since that was posted, and we still have not made very much progress! So I thought a new OP and poll might help get a better look at all the options we have.
About expansion:
  • GF is over, meaning fewer new people are watching the show and even fewer of them are joining the forum. Having a forum for something active would expose it to more new people.
  • None of the GF posts or categories would be removed from the forum. Nothing about the current posts would be changed. We would only be adding new content and forums, not changing the existing ones.
  • To reflect the additional focus, there may be a banner or other theme change. The current/updated theme would be available to all members, but may not be the default choice when you view the site.
Current suggestions for expansion topics:
  • Steven Universe
  • Infinity Train forum (we'd need to wait for more news about whether or not it would become a show)
  • General cartoon forum (either for all cartoons or for only kids cartoons)
  • General creative content forum (where people can share and discuss their original and fan-made content)

Of course there are pros and cons to each of these. Here are some (many copied from my older post):
  • Steven Universe
    + large, active fandom
    + show is ongoing, so new headcanons and theories are constantly being developed
    + many GF/SU fans overlap
    - show has been on air for awhile, and many parts of the fandom are already established and settled
    - fandom has a reputation for being volatile
    - will eventually end and place us in the same situation we are currently in
  • Infinity Train
    + very similar audience to GF
    + by converting the forum just as it's gaining traction, we would catch the early hype waves and tons of new people
    + lots of material for conspiracies
    - might not be picked up as a full show
    - will eventually end and place us in the same situation we are currently in
  • General cartoon forum
    + covers all areas
    + will never run out of things to discuss
    + attracts many different types of audiences
    - less likely to be sought out (most people search for specific discussion forums)
    - adding too many boards would clutter the forum
  • General creative forum
    + covers many areas
    + will never run out of things to discuss
    + attracts many different types of audiences
    + many people here are already working on their own projects
    + relatively likely to be sought out (art communities are fairly popular)
    - will not interest all current members
Please let me know if there is anything I missed!
[Image: Eg3lWTv.png][Image: tumblr_mcy2clswjj1qesb9j_by_homestuck__f...699rlh.png]
not a ship
At the moment, I'm very much liking a general creative forum. It's got the broadest audience and opens up heaps of new opportunities. Heck, I can already imagine a forum banner that's a collage of art from here!
It's true that there's a few current members who probably wouldn't be interested, but don't forget that we've also got other sections for things like video games and such. There's not going to be a single thing, I think, that will satisfy absolutely everyone, but a general creativity/fanart forum seems like it would appeal to the most people.
[Image: tumblr_msneb3uvKx1qe8ujwo8_500.gif]
I think we should expand more to Disney XD cartoons, to fit with the existing nature of the forum. I can see us getting a lot more members if we expanded to SVTFOE. Not to mention, we could even just make this a temporary change until Hirschy gets up off his butt and gets his new cartoon made.
If Romance Academy 7 and Fight Fighters are video games that means there are multiple copies with multiple Rumbles and Giffanies

[Image: giffany_button_by_sparrowag17-d9k3kov.png]

Memes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhD7rdK7rJA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njbsOLFL3vs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG_JV5gU1LY
i personally think a general creative forum would be the best choice, or maybe the cartoon forum if people aren't on board with that.
I'm about as edgy as a ball of raw cookie dough 
[Image: chocolate_by_cuppycakekitty-d9lkljt.png][Image: cat_puns_by_cuppycakekitty-d9kuqy6.png]
Nicks idea sounds pretty good but depends what other Disney XD catoons there are out there.

Course I'd love for this to become a creative forum but Infinity Train also sounds like a good bet at the moment. Only thing is of course is if it does indeed get the go ahead but I'd like to also point out we don't know for how long it would last. My gut tells me this could easily become an 'Over the Garden Wall' type deal, limited in episode number and runtime.
[Image: 101860422_stidenterprise3.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co5_400.gif]
Seems like a good bet. A SVTFOE section, general cartoon section and maybe Steven Universe would work for the time being.
“Ends are not bad things, they just mean that something else is about to begin. And there are many things that don't really end, anyway, they just begin again in a new way. Ends are not bad and many ends aren't really an ending; some things are never-ending.” ― C. JoyBell C.
[Image: Sig.gif]
I like all the options really, even though I haven't watched much Steven Universe yet.
Triangulum, entangulum.
Veneforis dominus ventium. Veneforis venetisarium.
[Image: weirdmageddon2_by_cuppycakekitty-d9kdjsm.png][Image: bill_cipher_fan_button_by_taffytamuttonf...8iduwp.png]
"We'll meet again... don't know where, don't know when...
but I know we'll meet again some sunny day..."
bbbbboy it's been awhile since the last post in this thread, definitely in part my fault !

since then the Infinity Train pilot has received significant attention from CN, as it aired on the channel, but i'm not sure what the ratings were and i don't know how likely it is to be picked up as a full show. regardless it does seem a more likely option than it did before.

general cartoon discussion forum seems to be the most popular choice at the moment, though, so maybe that isn't as relevant.

and then we can also switch to SvTFoE, like Nick brought up -- so to account for that i'll go ahead and reset the poll, get fresh choices, see if people's opinions have changed in the ~month since this topic was posted.

poll results circa right now (Click to View)

new poll has the same options + SvtFoE, with a maximum of voting for 2 things
[Image: Eg3lWTv.png][Image: tumblr_mcy2clswjj1qesb9j_by_homestuck__f...699rlh.png]
not a ship
yay something i said did something
If Romance Academy 7 and Fight Fighters are video games that means there are multiple copies with multiple Rumbles and Giffanies

[Image: giffany_button_by_sparrowag17-d9k3kov.png]

Memes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhD7rdK7rJA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njbsOLFL3vs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG_JV5gU1LY
Good job Nick.

Yeah you know me I'll always push for promoting creativity but to be honest I'd expect that to be more of a secondary part of a forum rather than something that is a main attractor for people. I think Infinity Train or expanding into general cartoons is our best shot (huh interesting, SU is in the lead, although my main concern with that is I believe there are already quite a few SU forums)
[Image: 101860422_stidenterprise3.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co5_400.gif]