S.O.P.H.I.E. (Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred Intolerance Everywhere)
Imagine walking down the street one evening with your significant other when suddenly you're attacked by a group of teens. They beat your partner and than you so harsh that paramedics not only have to take you to the hospital but have to use ID to tell the two of you apart. This is what happened on August 11th, in Lancashire England to a young woman named Sophie Lancaster and her boyfriend. What was their crime? Nothing other than being goth. Simply because they dressed differently from everyone else they were attacted and Sophie later died from her injuries. Sadly Sophie was not and is not an isolated case, but is did spark a movement to raise awearness and fight to end these hate crimes.

Being part of the alternative subculture be it goth or punk or whatever, being different will cause some to look at you harshly or avoid looking at you or make some rather rude comments. I’ve accepted that myself. I’m lucky as I grew up with very supportive people around me but a few comments have been made towards me. However to physically attack someone like that because of how they dress is very much crossing the damn line. Whether you're alternative or not, what happened to this poor girl is something that should never be allowed or tolerated.

Below is a link to a calander you can buy to help support the Sophie Lancaster foundation in their fight. 100% of the money will go to the foundation. There are a few videos from those in the gothic subculture sharing their experiences and helping to raise awearness. I've inluded two of them. I've also included a documentary of what happened to Sophie if you wish to see it.

Goths for Sophie Calander --> https://pozible.com/project/goths-for-so...8-calendar

The Documentary:

Madness is Amazingness!
[Image: tumblr_nyb3peWkus1uq9ys2o1_500.gif]
to say the least, this is pointless
[Image: tumblr_m52ey4vm8K1rshlqco1_500.gif]
[Image: tumblr_inline_orf7p7BnAz1uj5kni_540.gif]
It's not pointless to me nor to the real people who experience assaults like this.
Madness is Amazingness!
people in general experience assaults like this, not just goths

not only is this far from exclusive to goths, but also highly infrequent in terms of goths

sorry but overall this is simply not an issue
[Image: tumblr_m52ey4vm8K1rshlqco1_500.gif]
[Image: tumblr_inline_orf7p7BnAz1uj5kni_540.gif]
I'm not saying it is exclusive to goths but this stuff does indeed happen to many of us and it happens more than it should, even one time is too much. Assault is an issue and it a huge issue. Even if I wasn't part of the gothic subculture I would still be raising awearness of this because no one deserves to have to experience that. No one should be kicked and beaten to death for simply being different. I'm not bring this up simply for goths or alternative people but for anyone who has experience this sort of hatred. I'm fighting for people to be to dress how they want to, to listen to what they want to, and to feel free to express themselves without having to fear something like this happening.
Madness is Amazingness!
(06-09-2017, 04:25 AM)HopeCvon Wrote: I'm not saying it is exclusive to goths but this stuff does indeed happen to many of us and it happens more than it should, even one time is too much. Assault is an issue and it a huge issue. Even if I wasn't part of the gothic subculture I would still be raising awearness of this because no one deserves to have to experience that. No one should be kicked and beaten to death for simply being different. I'm not bring this up simply for goths or alternative people but for anyone who has experience this sort of hatred. I'm fighting for people to be to dress how they want to, to listen to what they want to, and to feel free to express themselves without having to fear something like this happening.

If it wasn't specifically for Goths, why'd you bring them up specifically? Why don't you just make a general thread for this? I get it; a group of people being prejudiced against is an important issue. Heck, I've been on the receiving end of it. Just please phrase it better next time.

I would also like to note that Gothic is, as far as I know, not just clothing, but personality and such. There's no sure way to know if the people attacking her didn't have a motivation other than that. Even if they were to say it was because of their clothes, that's logical evidence, fine. However, if they did it because they hate Goths, there must have been a reason they hate them.

Every act of prejudice has 3 sides: The victim's, the perpetrator's, and the truth. Focus on the last one.
If Romance Academy 7 and Fight Fighters are video games that means there are multiple copies with multiple Rumbles and Giffanies

[Image: giffany_button_by_sparrowag17-d9k3kov.png]

Memes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhD7rdK7rJA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njbsOLFL3vs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG_JV5gU1LY
Interesting...

I do not as of yet see the harm in promoting attention to any form of discrimination. At the same time I do agree human beings will attack anyone different from them, although I believe it is more to do with the fact of whether they believe they can. However, Hope, it will never be seen as serious an issue as discrimination as race, gender and sexual orientation and people understandably will resist it being presented on that level.

So while I do believe there are some good motives here, perhaps it is more beneficial to focus on studies on crime, violent behaviour and justice than, well, buying calendars.
[Image: 101860422_stidenterprise3.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co5_400.gif]
The calander was just something I thought was an interesting way to raising money and to help raise awearness. You don't have to buy the calander if you don't want to. The Sophie Lanchester Foundation aims to education the general public about alternative subcultures and to make sure attacks like Sophie's and those told about in the videos I included in the first post doesn't happen again. This just hit really close to home for me, so I really wanted to get the word out about this and share some of these stories. Those of us speaking up about this what to show that just because someone looks different for any reason doesn't make them any less human.

I want to help raise awearness about what is sometimes experienced every day but that not many outside the subculture actually know of and so that this one case can be reconized as a hate crime worldwide, because as it stands only Manchester reconizes Sophie's murder as a hate crime. I'm not saying that other forms of discrimination aren't as important but this is still discrimination. Again I haven't experience any physical attacks (thank the Heavens) but I have gotten some horrible things said to me. Someone actually called me "slutty freak" out in public infront of a whole group of people! Some of the other people there actually laughed but thankfully there were some willing to put those asshole in their place. Thank God for decent people in this world.

Even so I can accept that not everyone is going to like the way I look and may even voice their oppinions and I've excepted that. Heck I had to deal with oppinionated assholes even before I joined the goth world and even within it, but the elitists are a whole other story. I know that people are a bit more excepting of people being different than before but Sophie and Rob were attacked only 10 years ago. In the view of history, especially alternative history, that really isn't that long ago. That and the fact you guys have been saying about this not being a big deal when someone was murdered just breaks my heart. Whether you're alternative or not, no one deservese what happened to Sophie. NO ONE.

If anyone wants to learn more about the foundation please check out their website
http://www.sophielancasterfoundation.com/
(06-09-2017, 05:48 AM)TanookiNick Wrote:
(06-09-2017, 04:25 AM)HopeCvon Wrote: I'm not saying it is exclusive to goths but this stuff does indeed happen to many of us and it happens more than it should, even one time is too much. Assault is an issue and it a huge issue. Even if I wasn't part of the gothic subculture I would still be raising awearness of this because no one deserves to have to experience that. No one should be kicked and beaten to death for simply being different. I'm not bring this up simply for goths or alternative people but for anyone who has experience this sort of hatred. I'm fighting for people to be to dress how they want to, to listen to what they want to, and to feel free to express themselves without having to fear something like this happening.

If it wasn't specifically for Goths, why'd you bring them up specifically? Why don't you just make a general thread for this? I get it; a group of people being prejudiced against is an important issue. Heck, I've been on the receiving end of it. Just please phrase it better next time.

I would also like to note that Gothic is, as far as I know, not just clothing, but personality and such. There's no sure way to know if the people attacking her didn't have a motivation other than that. Even if they were to say it was because of their clothes, that's logical evidence, fine. However, if they did it because they hate Goths, there must have been a reason they hate them.

Every act of prejudice has 3 sides: The victim's, the perpetrator's, and the truth. Focus on the last one.

This particular story and foundation does have to do a lot with the the gothic subculture which is why I brought it up, however I was hoping that people would understand and symbathis with with this story since prejudice and assult and murder is a topic I think anyone can have a say against.

Yes your right. Goth isn't just about clothing it actually has a very detailed history. Watch this video if you want to learn a bit more about it.

As for what you brought up about questioning the motivation I first ask if you watched the documentary? It gives a much better account of what happened than what I can write. I'll wait before I go any farther.
Madness is Amazingness!
I think it's irrelevant in this discussion to watch a video for newcomers on how to become goths, it's just that like Baron stated that it isn't a serious issue as discrimination towards people with different races or gender.
I included the video because she does go into the history in the begining and gives so very good info about the subculture.
Madness is Amazingness!