1 12.50%
5 Bottomless Pits
50.00%
4 50.00%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

1x14 - Bottomless Pit!
STBFRE Comments

Bottomless Pitt...not a lot to say on this one. It's not very popular from what I gather, I find it fine, there's good humour, just not amazing like the rest of the show. I think I find Boss Mabel to be weaker honestly...

It's also the weaker of the collective story episodes. But I'll get into that when the time comes to review that one.

Favourite story: Dipper's new voice. The replacement voice was superb, really funny. It's funny how used to it you get before hearing Jason Ritter's voice again and how much of a welcome relief it is, although still jarring. I've heard people have a problem with his voice, that he sounds too old? Personally I find that to be milarky.

Oh yeah one small note: I can't help but feel Stan's robot is either a reference to Gunnerkrigg or a surreal coincidence. He looks like a combo of Robox and Robot (thank heavens they chose the superior bot, fuck Boxbot...)

[Image: 101860422_stidenterprise3.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co1_400.gif][Image: tumblr_nkgc1yQOXU1sccu9co5_400.gif]
OK, I know I skipped a massive chunk of episodes. Even a few paragraphs take some time, especially since there's multiple episodes a day and I'm at least attempting to be insightful. I know I don't have to do this, but I want to. Its just a lot of work.

Anyway, without further ado--

Sprint to Take Back the Falls Episode Rewatch:
Bottomless Pit!

So, there are two different ways I'm going to look at this episode. One is a look at each individual segment in its own right, the other is a look at the episode as a whole and as an installment of Gravity Falls.

"Voice Over"-- This segment is mostly about Dipper learning to accept some part of himself. We've seen it before, but it still makes for pretty good viewing and I can definitely relate to problems with self-acceptance (and I'm sure many others can as well).

"Soos' Really Great Pinball Story (Is That A Good Title? Do They Have To Be Puns Or Whatever?)"-- This is definitely more of a joke segment, though its is still pretty good. There isn't too much to say, except that I absolutely love Mabel's headband and feather.

"Grunkle Stan Wins the Football Bowl"-- This segment is just pure genius. Its a story of hope and determination; of never admitting defeat even against all odds. Its the story of a man achieving his heroic destiny. There's even a talking robot for the kids!! 5/5 or gtfo.

"Trooth Ache"-- Strictly viewed as impartially as I can muster, this is probably the best segment. Its both funny and interesting. The moral isn't something you may expect, but it makes sense, both as a moral I can agree with and considering where Hirsch and co. are coming from as writers.

So, all in all I think my favorite segment is Soos', mainly I guess because I think its pretty funny and I just generally identify with Soos pretty easily. Plus, I've also had a pinball high score (I even beat POO!) that was fortunately not lost, but topped withing the week :(.

So, when viewed as an installment of a larger series, this is a mediocre episode. Its definitely a filler episode, and while that isn't necessarily a bad thing for the episode itself, it makes this episode incredibly weak and forgettable upon later viewing in context with the larger narrative. As an episode, its good; as an episode in a continuous narrative, its forgettable.
[Image: giffany_button_by_sparrowag17-d9k3kov.png]
[Image: tumblr_ndbolzrktU1qhccbco7_250.gif] [Image: tumblr_ndbolzrktU1qhccbco2_250.gif]
Didn't The Journal say that the stories Bottomless Pit and Little Gift Shop Of Horrors are canon?
[Image: mabel_pines_fan_button_by_requestbuttons-d5j5abu.png]
No, it did not. The Hand Witch and the truth telling teeth were mentioned, but the other stories remain non-canon.
oh funk gotta dronk my honk
(12-19-2016, 03:01 PM)MysterySanta Wrote: No, it did not. The Hand Witch and the truth telling teeth were mentioned, but the other stories remain non-canon.

Oh. Okay. Thanks for clarifying.
[Image: mabel_pines_fan_button_by_requestbuttons-d5j5abu.png]